Why all the Shun hate?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my first knife (besides a $20 forschner) was a shun classic. It was my main knife for years. I would never buy one again, the steel was quite chippy and I now know about several other options I would grab for about $20 more than the $130 I think I paid. But I had that first one for a while and when I wanted to get a knife and fire tattoo with my brother (yes a cheap tattoo!) I got that shun tattooed on me, not knowing that in a few years there would be so much more I was interested in.
View attachment 86184
I dig how tattoos can mark a specific period on ones life.

My one and only
Shun Blue Steel Honesuki , 4.5 Inch, fun little blade, great for silver skin.

web.jpg

If you like a Shun then buy it. Who gives a rat's ass if other people hate them?

I have a Kai Shun Kaji 8" that I picked up on sale for 160 EUR. It's a drawer queen. My wife pulls it out when she remembers it. Certainly gets less than 4 hours of use in an entire year. Doesn't really matter - she likes it. She also likes MAC knives quite a lot. I even tought her how to use the Naniwas and the sink bridge, and how to strop with old newspaper.

This comment comes every four-five comments. Granted, most other comments are pretty "bashful" or at least express a maximum disdain. But I don't think "Buy one if you want one" resolves the question of such thread in any way whatsoever. It's obvious he wants it, but also obvious he heard the bad rep. Op wants to know WHY. Four bashful posts from different perspectives are still more informing.

Just saying...

(And that for the price you can ALWAYS find better VG/better steel/better maker than a Shun. Warranty might make a point for anyone that's basically anxious with J-knives coming with no warranty. Resharpening program is pretty moot around here. I myself made a point that Miyabi had big issues, and that the so-called better F&F from such big brands is also to be taken with a truckload of salt).

I think the most important point made in this thread - or absence thereof - is that there's not a single post thoroughly recommending them as a brand. There is some exceptional love though. 🤔

You guys are killing me here. Don't turn me into devil's advocate more than I already am. I hate the Kanso handle out of the box more than you hate Shun, combined.

Worse even - Troll Replying Syndrome.

But thanks for your comment!

More like holier than thou syndrome.

I will feel free to reply to questions in which ever manner I so desire. Should you dislike the style of a reply I make to another person, where there is no maliciousness involved, then you are free to take a flying ****.

More like holier than thou syndrome.

I will feel free to reply to questions in which ever manner I so desire. Should you dislike the style of a reply I make to another person, where there is no maliciousness involved, then you are free to take a flying ****.

And the day I'll be addressing you personally, you may have an inking that I do when I'll quote you, and not start a post with "such comment comes back every four five replies and I don't feel it answers the question".

Holier than thou, you are...

Shuns are such great knives I'd gladly buy you a brand new Shun and trade it for a well-used well-kept Kato that you are tired of using.

I LOVE Shun knives! :upsidedownspin:

So many people (outside this forum) have them and they're 90% knife abusers so there's always broken tips, nicked/chipped up edges, bad sharpening work to correct, etc. Sure they suck to sharpen on stones but when using belts they're actually the easiest knife to make crazy sharp. If it wasn't for them I'd likely have gone out of business years ago. :D

You're being paid to service Shun rather than paying to use it. Not a bad proposition at all.

I LOVE Shun knives! :upsidedownspin:

So many people (outside this forum) have them and they're 90% knife abusers so there's always broken tips, nicked/chipped up edges, bad sharpening work to correct, etc. Sure they suck to sharpen on stones but when using belts they're actually the easiest knife to make crazy sharp. If it wasn't for them I'd likely have gone out of business years ago. :D

Anyway that's all a Shun deserves is it not, to have a belt taken to it. :p

Back