Why are Jnats all from Japan?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought JNATs were sought after because of the intoxicating smell, I mean finish, they produce.
Seriously! I am always sniffing mine. That sweet earthy smell is like no other. Just don't do that to granite because of the Radon. Hell, Jnats might too have some radioactive element to them...

a bit off topic but I have never found a reason to use oil when water works fine. you can never get the oil out of your stone so to me that is just throwing money away. you also need to pay for the oil. I just don't see why anyone would want oil.

Apache Strata from the southwest are well thought of by experienced Jnat users.

You might want to contact David Weaver (youtube) or Stan Covington.

As for Japanese natural stones....they're variable.
While they're nice (and I swear by them), I've found that a good Arkansas stone can work as well....ditto for Jasper, and other stones around the area.

A good translucent arkansas stone is a thing of beauty (and utility). I might actually prefer it over my fancy Kyoto J-nat.

Speaking of which--if you have some Jasper nearby, you should try using it!

Last edited:
Being Chinese (American, which means that mainland Chinese don't see me as one of them), I'd be really skeptical of buying most things out of China---unless you have a friend living locally over there.

There's a lot of over inflated claims and specs in most things Chinese.

That being said, there's some really great stuff being made in China--almost exclusively for the Chinese. You'll see this in the Audio Chi-Fi wave of surprisingly decent amplifiers, headphones, DACs, etc.

Back