why are renge suitas so much liked/wanted?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inferno

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <*))))><
Reaction score
just trying to get a grip on this. compared to other jnats i mean.

what is the difference compared to other jnats?

i see these are also quite expensive for ones with obvious flaws. like 500€/$/£ for ones with lines and not full sized at both jns/aframes/watanabe.

is it worth it?? or are there better deals to be had for the money? (talking types/mines/layers/appearance/etc)

Aesthetics, mostly. Renge is pretty. There seems to be some speculation about whether their presence indicates a faster stone, but it's as far as I can tell it's all anecdotal. Suita are generally on the more expensive side for jnats, and renge only adds to the price. The prices of jnats in general and suita specifically have increased quite a lot in the last few years and the vendors you mention have followed that trend. That said, people tend to gravitate toward suita (and often ohira suita specifically) because as a general rule, they tend to be a good combination of a useful grit, relatively good cutting power and speed, and attractive aesthetics all in a fairly easy to find package.

By this I mean to say:
Are there better deals? Probably. For instance, a fine-grained tomae (or just a plain-looking suita) might ostensibly accomplish the same thing as a renge suita at a lower price.
Can you get your knife to the same level of sharp with a different, possibly cheaper jnat? Almost certainly.
Is a suita with renge worth it? That all depends on you.

It helps to keep the following in mind when shopping for natural stones: Anything to do with jnats- mine, vendor, color, appearance, size, pictures,video etc- is simply information that you as an end-user can use to help you make a reasonable, educated deduction about the performance of a stone. But you never truly know until put a blade (or several) to it. Natural stones aren't like knives where you can quantify things such as steel, heat treat, distal taper, grind, etc or like synthetics where you can measure grit particles, wear speeds, etc. Jnats decidedly lack in precise, measurable qualities. You can never be 100% certain that what you're buying will meet your expectations or requirements. There is always an element of risk that no amount of questions, research, or deductions can eliminate.

just trying to get a grip on this. compared to other jnats i mean.

what is the difference compared to other jnats?

i see these are also quite expensive for ones with obvious flaws. like 500€/$/£ for ones with lines and not full sized at both jns/aframes/watanabe.

is it worth it?? or are there better deals to be had for the money? (talking types/mines/layers/appearance/etc)
Renge suita are very easily identifiable and typically cut quite effectively, leave nice contrast and are usually a good usable hardness for kitchen knives and on top of that they look cool. They won't all cut the same or leave the same contrast or edge or have the same hardness but there's a certain typicity to these stones that is appealing. Where other stones might rely on stamps for confidence in mine/strata/quality, most people will feel comfortable identifying a nice looking aka renge suita as "high quality".

Just personal observation.

...there's a certain typicity to these stones that is appealing. Where other stones might rely on stamps for confidence in mine/strata/quality, most people will feel comfortable identifying a nice looking aka renge suita as "high quality".

Just personal observation.

Very good point, and succinctly stated.

OP, one quick note, you could do worse to post a WTB ad if you're set on a suita. Even better than that, if geography allows, would be trying to find a forum member/vendor with a few jnats or a stone collection to meet up with. Nothing helps to further your understanding of natural stones then trying a whole bunch of them together.

Aesthetics, mostly. Renge is pretty. There seems to be some speculation about whether their presence indicates a faster stone, but it's as far as I can tell it's all anecdotal. Suita are generally on the more expensive side for jnats, and renge only adds to the price. The prices of jnats in general and suita specifically have increased quite a lot in the last few years and the vendors you mention have followed that trend. That said, people tend to gravitate toward suita (and often ohira suita specifically) because as a general rule, they tend to be a good combination of a useful grit, relatively good cutting power and speed, and attractive aesthetics all in a fairly easy to find package.

By this I mean to say:
Are there better deals? Probably. For instance, a fine-grained tomae (or just a plain-looking suita) might ostensibly accomplish the same thing as a renge suita at a lower price.
Can you get your knife to the same level of sharp with a different, possibly cheaper jnat? Almost certainly.
Is a suita with renge worth it? That all depends on you.

It helps to keep the following in mind when shopping for natural stones: Anything to do with jnats- mine, vendor, color, appearance, size, pictures,video etc- is simply information that you as an end-user can use to help you make a reasonable, educated deduction about the performance of a stone. But you never truly know until put a blade (or several) to it. Natural stones aren't like knives where you can quantify things such as steel, heat treat, distal taper, grind, etc or like synthetics where you can measure grit particles, wear speeds, etc. Jnats decidedly lack in precise, measurable qualities. You can never be 100% certain that what you're buying will meet your expectations or requirements. There is always an element of risk that no amount of questions, research, or deductions can eliminate.

can you give some suggestions on stones/stone types that will give me the same-ish results as suitas from the regular retailers?

Natural stones is about finesse in my opinion. No need for them if your only goal is to have a fast sharpening stone or if you are sharpening thick behind the edge, soft stainless steel, for instance.

The problem with natural stones is that that are no guarantees, as long as i'm aware of, that a specific stone will have the desired sharpening qualities you are looking for based only on strata, mine, looks. You have to try it or, alternatively, trust the word of your source.

Are you going for your first jnat or are you just trying to get a new jnat with the best bang for you buck?

Last edited:
Back