Why are you selling your Mazaki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For all the crazy buying and supposed hype, I still strongly feel Mazaki isn’t all hype even with his market cooling. His knives are still in my regular rotation along side some very serious contenders (who I don’t need to mention to you guys).

And as someone stated earlier, despite the differences in profiles, they were all great cutters and I’d even argue punch well above their weight class by several hundred dollars.

Last edited:
I jumped on Panda's Mazaki bandwagon early and relatively hard (bought a total of 8 I think). I only have one now, but they were all amazing (except that last version from JNS, the profile of which I couldn't get down with).

I sold them because I have limited room in my knife block, so when I'm curious about another knife, I sell one I own. Hopefully the people I sold them to liked them as much as me. Mazaki is a very solid knife maker.

Other than Mazaki training with kato there’s almost no comparison. Some how that made it into the context and is still a misleading statement to people on the whole. It’s a completely different knife. In virtually ever way except that it’s steel and has a handle.

Other than Mazaki training with kato there’s almost no comparison. Some how that made it into the context and is still a misleading statement to people on the whole. It’s a completely different knife. In virtually ever way except that it’s steel and has a handle.
Curious why anyone would study under a master bladesmith and not take anything on board except knife needs to be made from steel and have a handle. Why not just watch the plentiful YT vids on knife making at that point.

I sold mine because it wasn't the greatest all around cutter, but did have some really good food release and it was a knife I just liked. It was the "bullnose" new grind.
Maybe some fell for the suggestion that Mazaki was a budget Kato, then the reality set in.
None of the three I had in hand ever really reminded me of Kato at all. But some of the extra thick ones that came in from jns's last batch would be interesting to try.

The one Mazaki I tried cut better than the 3 Katos I once owned.
There, I said it.

2 of the 3 I tried we're no where near the Kato's I tried in performance. But that third Maz, newer ku version, was fantastic!!

For all the crazy buying and supposed hype, I still strongly feel Mazaki isn’t all hype even with his market cooling. His knives are still in my regular rotation along side some very serious contenders (who I don’t need to mention to you guys).

And as someone stated earlier, despite the differences in profiles, they were all great cutters and I’d even argue punch well above their weight class by several hundred dollars.

Any reason to get a Maz over a Toyama or Fujiyama aside from price?

Apples to oranges to bananas comparison. Very different knives, so a very difficult question to answer.

To change your question a bit: any reason NOT to get a Mazaki? No, none at all.

Well, the main reason I don't get one is because it doesn't make me particularly excited. Can you please describe how the Mazaki is a very different knife?

Apples to oranges to bananas comparison. Very different knives, so a very difficult question to answer.

I feel like you were "ride or die" with any one of those 3 knives, swapping out to either of the other 2 options would piss you off.

Definitely quite different knives. The newer ku and I suspect some newer versions of Mazakis might hang really well with Toyama in dense veggies, perhaps even better at times. Toyamas seem waaay more consistent. The newer ones I tried are quite good through dense product. One reason you may prefer a newer Maz over a toyama could be the possibility aof thinner tip on the Maz, although that might depend on the version you get. The new Fuji fm are way different than both. Feel more laserish in use and are phenomenal cutter imo, but you have better chances of more food release, a reason perhaps to prefer a maz, with a Maz. Also a mazaki is generally more stuff/ stout than a new to, but I found the fms to be plenty stiff, actually surprisingly stiff, very sturdy.

Definitely quite different knives. The newer ku and I suspect some newer versions of Mazakis might hang really well with Toyama in dense veggies, perhaps even better at times. Toyamas seem waaay more consistent. The newer ones I tried are quite good through dense product. One reason you may prefer a newer Maz over a toyama could be the possibility aof thinner tip on the Maz, although that might depend on the version you get. The new Fuji fm are way different than both. Feel more laserish in use and are phenomenal cutter imo, but you have better chances of more food release, a reason perhaps to prefer a maz, with a Maz. Also a mazaki is generally more stuff/ stout than a new to, but I found the fms to be plenty stiff, actually surprisingly stiff, very sturdy.

Curious why anyone would study under a master bladesmith and not take anything on board except knife needs to be made from steel and have a handle. Why not just watch the plentiful YT vids on knife making at that point.

I’m not sure what bearing that has on what I said, but feel free to entertain me with what exactly a Kato and a Mazaki have in common. Other than the steel and the handle part of course. Let’s start with the nashiji Mazaki for a fun exercise.

I agree with MrHiggins in this one. Apples and oranges. I have all three, but for pretty different reasons I guess when I think about it. But Maz at the price is undeniably good.

Got my Maz from CC because it had a better finish and handle than JNS. It was the first knife in a long time to really surprise me. I had used so many knives over so many years very few really "wowed" me anymore. When I got the Maz I was expecting a good knife but nothing special if for no other reason than the price. A big grin emerged on my face from the first cut. It performed way above it's price point and quickly became the knife I reach for most often. Ordered another the next week to have a couple different sizes and neither are going anywhere anytime soon.

Got my Maz from CC because it had a better finish and handle than JNS. It was the first knife in a long time to really surprise me. I had used so many knives over so many years very few really "wowed" me anymore. When I got the Maz I was expecting a good knife but nothing special if for no other reason than the price. A big grin emerged on my face from the first cut. It performed way above it's price point and quickly became the knife I reach for most often. Ordered another the next week to have a couple different sizes and neither are going anywhere anytime soon.

The power of Maz is a curious thing.
Make one man weep, make another man sing.
And that’s the power of Maz

Where's sherlock holmes when you need him? :D
“When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

I agree with MrHiggins in this one. Apples and oranges. I have all three, but for pretty different reasons I guess when I think about it. But Maz at the price is undeniably good.
+1

Totally different knives.

Not to forget: Toyama costs double the price of Mazaki. And there are so many Fujiyama types out there - which are you referring to? Old and rare ones, or the new types?

I imagine there are a million under-the-hood type things that he could have learned from Kato. I don’t know much about knife-making, but one can definitely learn a ton from a teacher and then output a very different product. E.g. the teacher shows you how to grind a knife, and then once you master the technique, you decide to branch out with a different profile.

Humans and gorillas have 98% similar DNA, or whatever, right?

Sold mine (210 gyuto) because the (newer) profile didn´t suit my preferences. Still great knifes for the price. Overall it´s easy to see why people are attracted to his work!. There seems to be some variation between some of his knives (maybe he´s experimenting..). Just something to keep an eye out for.

Last edited:
I imagine there are a million under-the-hood type things that he could have learned from Kato. I don’t know much about knife-making, but one can definitely learn a ton from a teacher and then output a very different product. E.g. the teacher shows you how to grind a knife, and then once you master the technique, you decide to branch out with a different profile.

Humans and gorillas have 98% similar DNA, or whatever, right?

Boom. I’ve studied under chefs that I thought would teach me a lot, only to find that the best lessons I learned were exactly NOT what to do.

i started the hype, and then moved on from it because i have bougie taste in knives.

Just curious, have you asked Mazaki after the fact if you can get some sort of commission for all the business you’ve unintentionally brought him? ;)

Also, if you need an agent, I’m available.

Last edited:
Just curious, have you asked Mazaki after the fact if you can get some sort of commission for all the business you’ve unintentionally brought him?

Don’t listen to panda. He’s just the first to put up a post. Mazaki was already smashing sales before he blew his whistle.

Don’t listen to panda. He’s just the first to put up a post. Mazaki was already smashing sales before he blew his whistle.

No doubt. He did start a thread with nearly 1000 posts, though, so I’m going to authoritatively say that he was a factor in at least 10 sales. That’s enough for Mazaki to throw him some bamboo, at least.

Just curious, have you asked Mazaki after the fact if you can get some sort of commission for all the business you’ve unintentionally brought him? ;)

I'd totally buy a Mazaki Panda KKF Special Edition, please tell me its a chestnut handle KU Dammy in b#2
bamboo saya made from recycled bamboo cutting boards

Back