Why are you selling your Mazaki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The shigehiro I had also had one of the most stubborn coatings of protective lacquer on the blade. It took forever to get it completely off. Might be why they seem less reactive maybe
True about the lacquer. But still, I dice massive amounts of smoked sausage and it handles it well.
I kinda like just sharpening the patina off :) like once a week.

I wanted to know that too. How reactive is your Shigehiro compared to Maz and ironclad Wat @labor of love?
FWIW I emailed a few times with CC about the knife regarding reactivity and also how brittle it is for my purposes. The folks at CC said it is pretty reactive until you build up a patina and also that it would likely be too brittle for my purposes in a more commercial kitchen.

FWIW I emailed a few times with CC about the knife regarding reactivity and also how brittle it is for my purposes. The folks at CC said it is pretty reactive until you build up a patina and also that it would likely be too brittle for my purposes in a more commercial kitchen.

Sounds like you need a Marko warhorse in 52100

Sounds like you need a Marko warhorse in 52100
I followed the discussion on that knife but I couldn't tell how to order them. It seems he is very busy and not responding to recent efforts to get in touch with him.

i cant see why a mazaki would be too.brittle for a commercial kitchen, unless you are just trying to use it as a beater? polyboards are rough on edges but...

i cant see why a mazaki would be too.brittle for a commercial kitchen, unless you are just trying to use it as a beater? polyboards are rough on edges but...

Sorry for the confusion but my response on this thread was about the Shigehiro that is on sale on CC. I did however ask similar questions to the folks at Bernal about their Wakui's and was given a similar response regarding chipping when used in a more commercial setting.

Sorry for the confusion but my response on this thread was about the Shigehiro that is on sale on CC. I did however ask similar questions to the folks at Bernal about their Wakui's and was given a similar response regarding chipping when used in a more commercial setting.

I didn’t know that CleanCut carries Shigehiro. Can’t find them on their website. Or does ’CC’ abbreviate something else in your post?

What happens when you are typing without thinking on a phone...should have said the folks are Carbon Knife Co. Brain freeze.

Yeah that’s bs man. I take all my knives into some pretty dramatic commercial settings. Mazaki more than most actually. I think that’s just a canned response to reduce a perspective liability. Here’s 2 in action yesterday.
608DE13B-C99A-4D19-85E1-EA4ADC07D1A6.jpg

I followed the discussion on that knife but I couldn't tell how to order them. It seems he is very busy and not responding to recent efforts to get in touch with him.
There is a subscribe link at the bottom of his website. If you subscribe Marko said he will notify everyone on the list when he restocks the workhorse.

My understanding is that he’s going to drop a few workhorses on his website every week or so. I’m partial to what Kippington is doing with matching custom profile to workhorse grind but if Marko profile looks right to you go get it.

Back