Why is everyone selling (buying too) 240mm Gyutos?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think at a simple level, it comes down to "larger prep = larger knife". When I'm doing something small, a smaller knife works (like a Sakai 210), but prepping a large pot of soup, I migrated to using a Sakai 240. You just want the edge length to cut through more product at once.

Which brings up an important point - a Sakai 240 and Sanjo 240 are not the same thing. A Sakai 240 could be 230mm on the edge, while a Sanjo 240 could be 250mm edge. When I had a Sakai 270, it actually measured 255 on the edge.

Grip is also important. My fiancee find most of my knives "too long", even when they are same blade length as her westerns. Figured out that when she uses a wa-handled knife, she holds it at the very end of the handle making it feel longer than a yo-handled knife of the same length.

** SERIOUS QUESTION **

Are you tall and/or is your cutting surface lower??

I cut on a standard height counter. I’m 5’9” and even a 240 is tough. It is much more comfortable with a shorter blade.
I'm 5' 11". Counters are normal-ish restaurant kitchen height.

** SERIOUS QUESTION **

Are you tall and/or is your cutting surface lower??

I cut on a standard height counter. I’m 5’9” and even a 240 is tough. It is much more comfortable with a shorter blade.
I’m 5’7” and I find 270 the size I’ve come to enjoy. That being said I always pair a 270 with something 210 or less for detail work.

You can cut small things with a big knife, but it’s harder to cut really big things with a small knife! IMO, of course - I only cook at home with no lack of space.

I’m 5’7” and I find 270 the size I’ve come to enjoy. That being said I always pair a 270 with something 210 or less for detail work.

You can cut small things with a big knife, but it’s harder to cut really big things with a small knife! IMO, of course.

Agreed. but woth a longer knife sometimes it seems so far away from the product.

But … My real issue with a 240+ knife is more with a chef / gyuto shape. With those shapes and at the 240 length the heel & handle get raised higher when cutting. having the handle that high in relation to my shoulder is awkward , and seems less stable. It is also not ergonomically efficient (for me).

Push cuts and slicing are less impacted, but I find thw heel area of my 240s get used less because the knife does not rocked as high.

I notice when sharpening my 240a the tip and belly are always more used than the heel. That is not the case with my shorter blades.

Agreed. but woth a longer knife sometimes it seems so far away from the product.

But … My real issue with a 240+ knife is more with a chef / gyuto shape. With those shapes and at the 240 length the heel & handle get raised higher when cutting. having the handle that high in relation to my shoulder is awkward , and seems less stable. It is also not ergonomically efficient (for me).

Push cuts and slicing are less impacted, but I find thw heel area of my 240s get used less because the knife does not rocked as high.

I notice when sharpening my 240a the tip and belly are always more used than the heel. That is not the case with my shorter blades.
More lifting.
More pull cuts.
Less rocking.

This means that you are cutting with more toward the tip on the 240. Move the product back further and you should be raising your handle less than a shorter knife.

Lots of pro cooks here that cut a LOT of product. Longer knives seem to be preferred for large volumes. Stay sharp a bit longer, and have more length for tapered geometry depending on the style and grind.

I'm a home cook with an 18"x24" cutting board, so I have the space, but just don't need 240mm for cutting 1 onion, 1 pepper, and 4 carrots. Though I have a couple larger knives for particularly produce heavy meals. 210 is my Fav and I have 5 of those and 2 240-250's. I have a few 165-180 and like those for small jobs as well. 180-210 seems to be my sweet spot.

I do like Flat 210's, which chop and push cut like my more curvy 240. Though the Mazaki Nakiri is almost too flat .

Only a home cook here, but I am 270, maybe even a 280 guy. Have a reasonable sized kitchen and workspace. I love nice tapering and the extra length. And I agree with the poster than below 240 is a petty, lol.

Personal preference, most of my knives are 240-270, except Takamura chromax 210, I do wish they make longer versions.

It also depends on the size of cutting board and what kind of cutting tasks. If you’re only cutting 1tomato or 1 cucumber at a time on a small cutting board then 270mm+ Vegetable knife is kinda unnecessary.

240 is the most popular one because it’s easier to sell in B/S/T IME, suitable for both home/pro uses. I also think knives equals or under 240mm are easier/faster to sharpen.

How many people here rock chop as their preferred cutting style? I practically never do, except for maybe the casual, lazy garlic mince with a cleaver or something.

Personally, I push cut until the height of the product gets small enough to rock chop. Garlic and herbs are always rock chop. Pull cut meat. Draw cut at other times (usually cubing potatoes)

Here is my potentially hot take:

Many of the founding and most active members here cook and do prep for a living, where efficiency is everything, bigger knives 240+ usually make the most sense (cutting 3 squashes at a time instead of 1-2 is faster, etc.). Most of the pros settled on 240s as the best balance of use in a small space and amble blade length. Cooks, with their boisterous nature and credentials, drove the norms on the forum leading to 240 gyuto being the "default" choice. More people bought them, praised their virtues, sold them, etc. perpetuating the 240 cycle we see here now.

Im a 270 guy personally... I just find that extra length very useable when doing tons of prep (more edge length to use when things start getting dull, ability for a more robust heel and laser tip, lots of flat spot, etc) and after a week of use I don't even notice the extra length anymore and honestly keep thinking about a 300+. I think Jon has mentioned before that pretty much every pro in Japan uses a 270 for gyuto and that the shorter lengths are an American thing. I honestly think the current zeitgeist of taller and taller knives relative the length is a product of people trying to gain back the benefits of length without exceeding the 240 arbitrary cut off. I'd much rather use a 270x50 than 240x60.

Finally, anything under 240 is a petty not a gyuto, 270+ for life!!!*

* yes I am compensating for my small small pipi

Great point about efficiency of a longer knife. I suppose it is even more true with slicing and push cuts.

I do push cut, guillotine and glide mostly, they do benefits from a longer blade. BTW BST are really crazy recent couple days, couple Fujiyama and other Tanaka, couple Kato and Shige, at least 2 Watayama and bunch of really nice knives…

Alternatively, my wife has been right all these years and my jokes are not funny.

Impossible, that would indicate others might be in the same position as you.

What did the duck say to the duck doctor?

You are a quack.

This is an interesting conversation with lots of good points made by all. I recently sold my 240 Gyuto as I didn't find I used it. I was very comfortable with it, I just prefer my 180-210 knives. I'm a home cook, not a pro, and my biggest Hinoki board is 12"x18." I also no longer eat meat (whole food, plant based, "clean" vegan eater), though I'm not really sure that has anything much to do with it. I do know I prefer a fairly tall knife with a decent percentage of flat spot at the rear. I'm a push cutter/chopper mostly. My 210 Nakiri, 180 Bunka, and 180 Nakiri at 55-60mm are all taller than my 240 Gyuto was (it was a Kato AS / 50mm at heel). I find 55-60mm to be in the "sweet spot" for me, allowing me to scrape up veg for the pot, etc., while not being so tall I'm way above the board, and none are "too long" for my board. I may end up with another 240 "just because," but it definitely will be at least 55mm tall. I do have a 170mm Santoku with the typical Echizen shape (Anryu). In lieu of a petty which I found I never used, it's my knife for doing small work (like garlic) for my wife's cooking, and it's the only knife I rock-cut with given it's blade shape.

To bring a different experience to the conversation, as a (mostly) former big game hunter (primarily elk), I never used a big knife to take apart, skin and bone an elk in the field. On the many elk (and other animals) I've broken down in the backcountry to pack out, I've used blades from 2.75" to no more than 4." My favorite is an odd shaped knife made in Canada by Grohmann called the Canadian Belt Knife no.1. I've taken dozens of animals apart with that knife, and never found the need for more blade. But of course that's entirely different than working in a kitchen! I suppose I shared that because for generations most hunting knives were a bare minimum of 5" with 6"+ being the most popular. I never understood that, and have always used smaller knives. I find being elbow deep inside an elk, a smaller blade is safer and easier to use. Breaking joints down, separating muscle groups, are all easier with a short knife. Obviously working with traditional cuts of meat "butchered properly" in a kitchen is an entirely different proposition, so I could see where a 240-300mm knife would make a lot of sense, and of course historically that was the primary use of a gyuto.

Obviously there's no "right" answer to any of this, just personal preference based on any number of criteria and experience. Of course, every knife is a compromise... the trick is knowing which way you prefer your compromise weighted.

Sheesh... a long, rambling post on a slow Saturday morning!

This is an interesting conversation with lots of good points made by all. I recently sold my 240 Gyuto as I didn't find I used it. I was very comfortable with it, I just prefer my 180-210 knives. I'm a home cook, not a pro, and my biggest Hinoki board is 12"x18." I also no longer eat meat (whole food, plant based, "clean" vegan eater), though I'm not really sure that has anything much to do with it. I do know I prefer a fairly tall knife with a decent percentage of flat spot at the rear. I'm a push cutter/chopper mostly. My 210 Nakiri, 180 Bunka, and 180 Nakiri at 55-60mm are all taller than my 240 Gyuto was (it was a Kato AS / 50mm at heel). I find 55-60mm to be in the "sweet spot" for me, allowing me to scrape up veg for the pot, etc., while not being so tall I'm way above the board, and none are "too long" for my board. I may end up with another 240 "just because," but it definitely will be at least 55mm tall. I do have a 170mm Santoku with the typical Echizen shape (Anryu). In lieu of a petty which I found I never used, it's my knife for doing small work (like garlic) for my wife's cooking, and it's the only knife I rock-cut with given it's blade shape.

To bring a different experience to the conversation, as a (mostly) former big game hunter (primarily elk), I never used a big knife to take apart, skin and bone an elk in the field. On the many elk (and other animals) I've broken down in the backcountry to pack out, I've used blades from 2.75" to no more than 4." My favorite is an odd shaped knife made in Canada by Grohmann called the Canadian Belt Knife no.1. I've taken dozens of animals apart with that knife, and never found the need for more blade. But of course that's entirely different than working in a kitchen! I suppose I shared that because for generations most hunting knives were a bare minimum of 5" with 6"+ being the most popular. I never understood that, and have always used smaller knives. I find being elbow deep inside an elk, a smaller blade is safer and easier to use. Breaking joints down, separating muscle groups, are all easier with a short knife. Obviously working with traditional cuts of meat "butchered properly" in a kitchen is an entirely different proposition, so I could see where a 240-300mm knife would make a lot of sense, and of course historically that was the primary use of a gyuto.

Obviously there's no "right" answer to any of this, just personal preference based on any number of criteria and experience. Of course, every knife is a compromise... the trick is knowing which way you prefer your compromise weighted.

Sheesh... a long, rambling post on a slow Saturday morning!

That canadian pattern is interesting. Kinda a skinning knife/nessmuk blend. As a whole animal butcher, I favor 6-inch boning knives, but like most butchers I think, I predominantly use the final third near the tip (2-2.5 in of length), so I think it kind of washes out. The overall length is useful for keeping your knuckles away from meat/bones, for skinning (which as you probably know is a bit different for aged meat than when processing fresh), and for, of course, portioning. It's more of an all-on-one solution, which I think is probably one of the major rationales behind the historical use of larger knives in the field (say a bowie used in fulfilling camp duties, defensive duties, food duties, etc).

Last edited:
That canadian pattern is interesting. Kinda a skinning knife/nessmuk blend. As a whole animal butcher, I favor 6-inch boning knives, but like most butchers I think, I predominantly use the final third near the tip (2-2.5 in of length), so I think it kind of washes out. The overall length is useful for keeping your knuckles away from meat/bones, for skinning (which as you probably know is a bit different for aged meat than when processing fresh), and for, of course, portioning. It's more of an all-on-one solution, which I think is probably one of the major rationales behind the historical use of larger knives in the field (say a bowie used in fulfilling camp duties, defensive duties, food duties, etc).
You make excellent points, and of course traditional butchering in a controlled environment is an entirely different animal (pun intended!) than field "butchering." It's also refreshing to find someone who knows what a "Nessmuk" knife is! My grandfather had a slaughter house and butcher shop and I spent countless hours there as a kid watching the entire process from the killing to the sausage making. Indeed, most of the guys were using 6-8" knives as I recall.

Obviously this is some serious thread drift, and I apologize in advance for it, but if anyone cares, here's the D.H. Russell designed, Grohmann made, Canadian Belt Knife no.1, w/ 3-3/4" blade (97mm).

Last edited:
I’m quite large, and have sizable hands so personally it’s just a matter of what is comfortable. 210 and lower just feel tiny, and once I learned a proper pinch grip using a 240 felt far more natural. 270 and and up are nice except they requires ample countertop space or an appropriate kitchen island.
As also mentioned by others; 240’s are extremely common and resell with relative ease.

Back