Why is there such an adversion to sharpening on diamond plates?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalmRoyale

Reaction score
It seems I'm the only one here who recommends Atoma plates for regular sharpening. It's fast, doesn't dish and the diamond clusters let you know by sound when you change the angle. Get the 600 grit plate, slap the 1200 grit replacement plate on the other side and go. I love these things. I can't be the only one who likes these plates so much for sharpening.

It will be the lack of tactile feedback, I guess. And brand new they're very aggressive. But I use a worn in Atoma 140 for thinning, and the scratches are easily removed with a Chosera 400. You can't use pressure with a diamond plate, though.

They just don't feel good and the sound is annoying to me. Other than that they are great and like you said very fast, work on all steels, etc.

How well does the JKI 6000 grit diamond plate perform? Is it a true 6000 grit? I've seen what I think is the same plate on Yahoo Auctions Japan for a much lower price.

Edit: $100 on Yahoo Auctions vs $170 at JKI. This is not a stab at JKI. He has to pay for shipping and add taxes on top of that. I understand why he sells them for $170.

25690875b8d59b8b3f90d6f9d6470ba5ee18e137.jpg

what is the substrate of those stones? is it plastic or some kind of ceramic?

How well does the JKI 6000 grit diamond plate perform? Is it a true 6000 grit? I've seen what I think is the same plate on Yahoo Auctions Japan for a much lower price.

Edit: $100 on Yahoo Auctions vs $170 at JKI. This is not a stab at JKI. He has to pay for shipping and add taxes on top of that. I understand why he sells them for $170.

It is 6k as any other synthetic stone.

You need to think of it as a synthetic with diamond particles rather than a traditional diamond stone.

It is totally awesome... probably the closest you will get to the feeling of a stone but with the cutting power of diamonds...

Also as per that link... looks decent though can't be sure its true... you get QC with Mr Brioda who stands by his product...

Could be worth a try if you have $100 you want to risk.

I am drooling over the diamond stones from Jon for a very long time. That 800 is just calling my name :)

I like it.... cuts reliably fast, always stays flat for my single bevel knives and the 6K still bites as at times when i overdo it... i find that the edge is to thin and a "broken edge" where I put the finger on..

The 6K is my stropping plate.. sut some water,clean with a nagura and leave some mud on it and its good to go..

The finish is a respectable sheen.. cant complain...

I use 1,3 and 6K diamond plates ( synthetic with diamond dusts).. whilst the type diamond dusts on steel plate.. is superb for grinding metal away for thinning. for which i use the 400 and 1200 grit from EZlap. The sound tells me that i am abrading steel away!

hv fun and Bets wishes for the New Year... Z

Use my 1K diamond stone from Jon keep it on my work bench. Just mist some water on it. Use it for chisels, carbon garden tools etc. Just rinse with water hose. Low maintenance does not dish. Prefer stones for kitchen knives.

Have seen carpenters use plates to sharpen chisels on the job.

I don't think it is the same plate. I want to say Jon has clarified this previously.

As for sharping on dmt or atoma plates? That's like consummating your marriage with a box of condoms on.

lol I was just about to say...even if you were right Jon wouldn't tell you

More likely if he was right Jon wouldn't respond... and why does it matter? These are made to Jon's specs anyway.

because it feels and sounds horrible. i hate sharpening to begin with and if i had to deal with diamond plates for sharpening, i would just keep using dull..

I'm with ya and add that dreaded, strange vibration and I'll use a butter knife from here on out.
Strangely though I really like the sensation when using to flatten with a lot of water. Sweet!

they are inferior to the ones jon sells. ive had one years ago, lacking feedback and speed and loaded up badly if i remeber correct.

pretty similar, yea. the sankyo feels even harder tho with less feedback.

I've used that yellow Naniwa 6000 for a while and it's the most awful thing I've ever sharpened on. After a bit of use the surface was glazed and shiny and almost completely stopped working. It must be pretty hard to make a decent diamond stone that acts like a conventional water stone.

I can live with it.. Yes it does glaze up and i use a 1000 or 3000 grit broken to clean it up and it does its job.... a)stay flat or dish so slightly... b) cuts

On the other Diamond plates.. it does not glaze up... clogs a little and i use the small stones to clean it up..

rgds Z

I had my "fun" with cheap (the plastic backed, colorful, hardware store stuff) diamond plates - while effective, they left scratches much deeper than their grit would suggest, a few of them MUCH deeper, making a small correction quick but the refinishing extremely laborious.

I've started using my #1200 atoma plate recently (since I seem to have lost my shapton 1000 glass stone and a rika 3k :'( ). I've used a stones and generally prefer hard and fast stones so the atoma plate wasn't a shock when I started using it anyway. The only drawback is that the burr is pretty wicked off the 1200 atoma.

Can any of these diamond "stones" be used to flatten other stones? Will these last longer than dmts/atomas for flattening?

Back