Why is there such an adversion to sharpening on diamond plates?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can any of these diamond "stones" be used to flatten other stones? Will these last longer than dmts/atomas for flattening?

sure you could use them, but the atoma/dmt style things are better, faster, and easier for flattening... not to mention they are less expensive and last longer for that kind of use

I see!

I would have thoght thtese stones were longer lasting since they about 2-3mm of diamond compared to 0,001mm like dmts kinda.
Soo, what are these good for??? in your opinion mr broida. or anyone that likes to answer.

I mean I'm all for diamonds. but they have to better than atoma/dmt. or there is no reason to buy imo. significally better.

yeah... but the binding agent can wear away more quickly. I enjoy some of them for sharpening though. I use some almost every day. They are an acquired taste, and make sacrifices in feedback and whatnot in favor a slight speed advantage and a very consistent finish. They are also much more enjoyable to use than an atoma or DMT.

:lol2: seems I'm getting kinfa drunk.

[video=youtube;whBqABvsv2o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whBqABvsv2o[/video]

yeah... but the binding agent can wear away more quickly. I enjoy some of them for sharpening though. I use some almost every day. They are an acquired taste, and make sacrifices in feedback and whatnot in favor a slight speed advantage and a very consistent finish. They are also much more enjoyable to use than an atoma or DMT.

I'm loojking at these as dmt/atoma replaments in the 200-400 jis region. now both my atomas and dmts are fine but still. dimmonds does not make sense to me above 500 jis. then there is better stuff like shapton glass! and to be honest shapton glöass is very very good ( i hope I'm allowed to say 5that) very fukn good. so why even buy diamond?? for the sub 1k region of course. so are these stones good for sub 1k?

I'm loojking at these as dmt/atoma replaments in the 200-400 jis region. now both my atomas and dmts are fine but still. dimmonds does not make sense to me above 500 jis. then there is better stuff like shapton glass! and to be honest shapton glöass is very very good ( i hope I'm allowed to say 5that) very fukn good. so why even buy diamond?? for the sub 1k region of course. so are these stones good for sub 1k?

The thing is that stoens like the dmt/atoma and things like what i use are very different, and expectations have to be different. I have some diamond stones in the 200-500 grit range that i like using. They arent that much faster than other options (i.e. my pink 220 is faster than my diamond 200, but the diamond leaves a more consistent finish that is easier to follow up, dishes much more slowly, and will last me a lot longer). They have other strengths that are important to me, especially as a professional sharpener- consistent finish, easy to follow up with other stones, great resistance to dishing. There are quite a few diamond stones i like in the 800+ grit range. I have a vitrified diamond stone that is 800 grit that i cant imagine working without. I also use a 6k diamond stone (more like a resinoid stone) a lot and it works better than other options for me. They wont be great for everyone, especially at the price point that some of them are at, but they work well enough for me that i use them over other less expensive options.

Back