Why two variations of White Steel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So in conclusion, the white steels take the best edge, (#1 holding the most acute angle and #3 being the toughest), while the blue steels hold the best edge (Blue super being the best at this while Blue #2 and #1 have the better toughness.[/COLOR]

except you can't test your conclusion as you cannot buy Hitachi blade steel in the US to make test mules with. there is no way currently to make a blade of white and a blade of 52100 that are identical in every possible way and do a double blind performance test.

Haha! Scott, you took Razor's post way out of context!
He's comparing Hitachi whites and blues to each other, he's not comparing them to every other steel in existence! :biggrin:

What Kip said, plus you CAN buy Hitachi steels in the USA. I know because I have from Maker Material Supply. You can also buy overseas from Dictum or Workshop Heaven if you don't like the billet sizes from MMS.

What Kip said, plus you CAN buy Hitachi steels in the USA. I know because I have from Maker Material Supply. You can also buy overseas from Dictum or Workshop Heaven if you don't like the billet sizes from MMS.

Um... you are going to start making us blades out of Hitachi steel for Christmas? :D

Um... you are going to start making us blades out of Hitachi steel for Christmas? :D

doubtful. maker material supply store on eBay shows zero items. a listing came up for some San Mai, 5/32" is a little thick for a kitchen knife, don't know anything about the maker. NJ Steel Baron had some Blue several years ago, but been unable to import any steel from Hitachi. Alpha Knife Supply tells the same story. small quantities of 1.2519 are still available, its chemical makeup is similar to Blue #2. it appears that Hitachi makes small quantities of Aogami and Shirogami steel and has most of it sold before it is even made.(seems to be standard Japanese business practice, Toyota and Honda don't start assembling a car until it is sold) since these steels seem to have almost mythical properties, Hitachi can sell them for whatever price it wants. since the steel is very difficult to obtain, the chance of a double blind test of Aogami vs. Shirogami is doubtful.

doubtful. maker material supply store on eBay shows zero items. a listing came up for some San Mai, 5/32" is a little thick for a kitchen knife, don't know anything about the maker. NJ Steel Baron had some Blue several years ago, but been unable to import any steel from Hitachi. Alpha Knife Supply tells the same story. small quantities of 1.2519 are still available, its chemical makeup is similar to Blue #2. it appears that Hitachi makes small quantities of Aogami and Shirogami steel and has most of it sold before it is even made.(seems to be standard Japanese business practice, Toyota and Honda don't start assembling a car until it is sold) since these steels seem to have almost mythical properties, Hitachi can sell them for whatever price it wants. since the steel is very difficult to obtain, the chance of a double blind test of Aogami vs. Shirogami is doubtful.

Was more of a tease because I like his work...

That aside, dictum seems to have both Aogami and Shirogami in stock at the moment as well as some SG-2 and others.

That's the thing... as we try to get sharper and sharper, we're zooming into an ever smaller area. Carbides which might otherwise be beneficial to begin with start to look a hell of a lot larger, starting to get in the way as we strive ever closer to the 'perfect edge'.

In other words, if you decide to chase a highly refined, smooth edge, you may have to compromise on your choice of steel and sacrifice some of the desirable properties that carbides might offer.
As with all things in knives, there's a balancing act we need to achieve if we want to reach a practical end product.

How dare you post the summarization of my argument! Are you spying on me? Do you have secret keylogging on my PC? Are you a secret Google agent?

Latest posts

Back