Why you should never make a spreadsheet

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2318.jpg

Not yet, I've been moving things out to accommodate those coming in. Trying not to have a museum.
I will say I like this photo with a special new addition. It was important to have a local maker in the pack.
The display coffee table I made with my pop, no pattern. Made a pair, one for each. Most complex work I've done to date.
230D4A64-C0B5-48D3-A694-2391BBCCFB88.jpeg

35C97F96-7E6B-4662-823C-B74C0A6217BE.jpeg

And I'm still looking for a nice long slicer/gyuto for protein projects, god help me. Something in the 280-330mm range. If anyone knows something that would look at home in that case ... you know were to find me.

I have it on good authority that you ain’t nowhere until you have a “plethora of redundancies”! Until then keep collecting ... you’re still an amateur. In my collection the king of slicers is a Martell
Sujihiki. 300mm ... give Dave a call.

sujihiki.

Last edited:
I recently went through this exercise and had a similar reaction. Some things are better left unknown

Any sport that involves hitting a ball, anything that floats on water, anything that flies in the air, anything that has four feet and a saddle, anything that has at least two wheels and a motor, anything that cries, anybody that walks down an aisle, anywhere but home. Just a short list of a few things things that makes knives look cheap.

I had a friend with two daughters who took up riding horses. He was know to say that if he knew how much horses cost he would have just bought his daughters their own Seven-Eleven to hang out at.

Just my .02!

I am physically afraid to put together a list of stuff I bought to be able to make about 5 knives a year. I am even more afraid that my wife could accidentally see that list :p
Ha. Yes. I am about to sink most of my handle profits into a mid level sawstop. My dad had the tablesaw vs fingers experience complete with surgery, hospital stay, and too much time in the icu. My wife says that if I hurt myself, she will kill me, she didn’t care about the saw price tag.

Is that a carbon fiber BM 770? Hope that $10k figure is with the folders included rather than without...:p

Ha. Yes. I am about to sink most of my handle profits into a mid level sawstop. My dad had the tablesaw vs fingers experience complete with surgery, hospital stay, and too much time in the icu. My wife says that if I hurt myself, she will kill me, she didn’t care about the saw price tag.
Tools save money, EVERYONE knows that. And every project needs a new one or it ain't a real project

The problem that I have with insurance is that the office that sells policies seems to be located on a different continent from the office that pays claims ... or so it seems. About ten years ago I said ... that’s it! Except for auto insurance which is compulsory ... no more insurance. I think I’m far enough ahead of the game that I could take a loss now. Ha! .... I used the money I saved to buy more knives!

I did the spreadsheet thing as well. Mainly for 2 reasons- curiosity and organization. Organization because it’s getting a little out of control and I’m forgetting some details (steel, handle wood). Plus I input detailed specs and measurements so it becomes easy for me to compare/contrast.

Another benefit is should anything happen to me, my wife will have full access to exactly what was paid and what to sell them for. A “working” life insurance policy so to speak

I did the spreadsheet thing as well. Mainly for 2 reasons- curiosity and organization. Organization because it’s getting a little out of control and I’m forgetting some details (steel, handle wood). Plus I input detailed specs and measurements so it becomes easy for me to compare/contrast.

Another benefit is should anything happen to me, my wife will have full access to exactly what was paid and what to sell them for. A “working” life insurance policy so to speak
I just have a hand written note hidden with my "stones and knives" fund, with detail instructions on which kid gets what knife, which KKF member gets what knife or stone, which ones to sell, and which knives go PIF. The whole thing is signed with my thumb print using swarf from my fav stone and knife. Sealed usif a blob of molten green chromium oxide for god measurr

I just have a hand written note hidden with my "stones and knives" fund, with detail instructions on which kid gets what knife, which KKF member gets what knife or stone, which ones to sell, and which knives go PIF. The whole thing is signed with my thumb print using swarf from my fav stone and knife. Sealed usif a blob of molten green chromium oxide for god measurr

Maybe a condition of KKF membership should be that after death, one’s knives will be donated to the community!

"Should anything happen to me..." Yeah, like your wife finding the spreadsheet and killing you. At least afterward sh'll have some idea how much she can get for them :D

Back