Wife beater

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knivperson

Reaction score
I need a beater knife for my girlfriend. Currently she is using my first kitchen knife ever, a Senjen VG10 santoku, which is really not nice. I'd like something new for her. She doesn't want to use my thin/japanese knives.

Some kind of stainless / semi-stainless is probably best, because even though she usually cleans the knives before she eats, she leaves them to air dry. This is somehow not possible to change, apparently.

Length should be 7-8 inches / 18-20 cm

Chef knife or santoku.

Any suggestions? Are there vintage stainless K sabatiers or other nice stuff?

I need a beater knife for my girlfriend. Currently she is using my first kitchen knife ever, a Senjen VG10 santoku, which is really not nice. I'd like something new for her. She doesn't want to use my thin/japanese knives.

Some kind of stainless / semi-stainless is probably best, because even though she usually cleans the knives before she eats, she leaves them to air dry. This is somehow not possible to change, apparently.

Chef knife or santoku.

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/zwilling-ja-henckels-pro/rocking-santoku-knife-p137863
I own this and it’s a great versatile knife. I would recommend it to anyone.

This is so not the topic the title had me hoping for…
C4C13D58-F6F1-4C97-B4DD-A72863E8C3C0.jpeg

Chef knife or santoku.

the victorinoxes are around 55hrc. these are quite abuse proof imo. wont hold an edge all that long though.
maybe some mora model would be better?

globals are around 55-56hrc or so too. they look cool.

I have been very happy with the Kanehide TK. I bought a 240 to use as a beater for myself to replace the Vic 8" that was my girlfriends knife and also my beater. Now the Vic just sits unused as she really enjoys using the TK and has worked up to using something a bit nicer.

How about an 8" Wustof Crafter?

I've also heard a lot of praise for Kiwis, I'd love to try one or two, but have never even seen one in the wild. You certainly cannot beat the price.

I am a little confused. Your nickname for your girlfriend is 'wife beater'? Either your wife needs to build some internal strength to leave your relationship, or the three of you have an interesting BDSM thing going on.

Either way this thread is worthless without pics...

:popcorn:

How fragile it is is more important. It should be able to resist an occasional scraping of food across the board without chipping.
I've also heard a lot of praise for Kiwis, I'd love to try one or two, but have never even seen one in the wild. You certainly cannot beat the price.
Kiwis are fun as hell, insane value and mad sharp, but while scraping food across the board would never chip it (the steel is so soft I imagine nothing would), you’d probably need to resharpen it right after! I have a bunch and every now and again pick the bunka-looking chefs knife (#21, I believe) over my Masakage Koishi :)

Fujiwara FKM is a good beater I’ve used, laser geometry but also chip resistance. I cut bones with it no chipping issues. Only downside is it won’t hold the edge longer than VG10, you have to refresh the edge often, but it’s pretty quick/easy/safe to do so on honing rod.

Chipping issues depends on what steel you’re using and how thin BTE. For chip resistance steel like AUS8(FKM) is okay to go very thin. I’m using a stainless clad blue 2 as a beater right now, 3X better edge retention, it chips on cutting bones at first but after sharpened at higher angle, gets thicker BTE it’s quite chip resistance also.

I bought a MAC Pro for my wife. She used it for a couple of months but lately I have seen her use this Henckels 4star chef's knife.

IMG_0499.jpg

Back