Wife Wants A New Pairing (petty) Knife!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of nowhere tonight, the wife said, "I want you to get me a new pairing knife. Mine doesn't stay sharp long enough." She has a Murata she likes but she's struggling to get passed rust paranoia.

So, once again, I turn to the KKF community.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Pairing

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
A bias to western but she might consider the right wa handled offering

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
I'd think 80ish mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes. She wants stainless.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$150ish

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Primarily in-hand work. She's old school so peeling potatoes, slicing berries, all that kind of thing. She's got a new longer/taller petty that she's been using regularly for board work.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Henkels pairing knife. Pretty slim in both spine width and heel height.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Edge retention. She uses her small knife for a lot of quick board work or utility tasks while it's in her hand. Having started using harder steels, I think she's been digging on the keener edge that sticks around a bit longer.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
She's a sucker for the purty stuff. Damascus, tsuchime, etc. Not required but a bonus.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
End grain

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yep

Last edited:
https://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro-dp/paring-knife-p113706
The 90mm flat edge Tojiro has the perfect shape for switching between in-hand and board work. The handle is angled just enough to get some knuckle clearance for smaller hands. And the flat profile works great for peeling, plus it makes more board contact than something with an upswept tip.

Herder K1 or K1M have best grinds for pairing knives imo, 1.2519 @61/62 Rc

Altough im not sure that harder steel really gives you a practical advantage in a paring knife

I have one of these. The blade holds a sharp edge, but it is very handle-heavy (too much so,
IMO) and I find the heel of the blade often digs into my finger when cutting stuff in-hand.
Fair enough, I had picked up a little set of Yaxell YO-Us, gyuto, santoku, and 120mm petty. I sold the gyuto and santoku and my wife was pissed, apparently she had grown attached to them, I had no idea. But we still have the petty, I even grab it sometimes to chunk out potatoes, I think it is fine, but honestly I never use it for any extended length of time to really form a critical opinion...

web.jpg

Back