Wilkins Chef knife alternative?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ogden

Reaction score
Looking for a new Chef knife I found this forum. I learned a lot reading some posts, thx for sharing.
I bought two medium size kitchen knives from Kevin Wilkins, which are great (Mytuko Major and Ryback Bushcrafter). Still looking for a larger Chef knife I thought about Wilkins Series 2.
I like the shape of the blade and I like the extra curve for the forefinger in the grips (sorry for my english, not a native speaker).
Are there any alternatives similar to this knife?

:welcome2:

Hax the Cook CLRAVERS RULE!!! :D

At the risk of offending you, I have reason to believe you'd be better suited trying a Japanese blade. I have yet to find a flat ground knife that is worth owning. Handles really only give minor contributions to overally cutting joy, assuming they are decent to begin with. Good luck.

I know Kevin and he makes very good knives, but they are more high quality general use knives than specialized kitchen knives. You can use a Wilkins knife like the ones you have in your home kitchen and do just fine but you can also take it out into the field and it wood work well there too. What you will find on here are the much more focused knives built for maximum performance in the kitchen. A very different breed of cutlery.

At the risk of offending you, I have reason to believe you'd be better suited trying a Japanese blade. I have yet to find a flat ground knife that is worth owning. Handles really only give minor contributions to overally cutting joy, assuming they are decent to begin with. Good luck.

Amen

I have to say that I like the design of that Ryback Bushcrafter -- that is to say if I wanted an outdoor camping knife. It seems versatile, and the divot in the handle gives some nice knuckle clearance for chopping. He advertises it as a crossover knife, and I still think the tip could be lower, but I'd probably buy one as a camping knife if I had the need.

k.

ryback_biushcrafter.jpg

I have the Ryback 2 and it is a very high quality knife, but for me it is to short. If there would be a 240 mm version, I would buy it in an instant.

Thanks tk. I hadn't seen those before. Again, if I were looking for a camping knife, I would probably (gasp) choose the santoku in that Saji line as the rest seem to be very 'tippy' and less durable. One of those might be calling my name ;) I like the bone handles.

But I will say that I still like the idea of that crossover hunter/chef knife.

k.

SajiSantokuLinenMicarta.jpg

btw, on the other hand we could just send the work to Butch for a real custom. He's not that far off in this photo, and I bet he could could do the best job ever.

k.

butch_hunter.jpg

Thanks for the welcome and your answers. I am not a professional chef, so the crossover design works for me - and I like the idea of having general use knives in the kitchen (the Bushcrafter - with pretty orange grips - and the Mytuko Major really do a good job). I understand that the members of this forum are more focused on japanese or other more specialized knives. A real custom might be too expensive, but maybe I think about a mail to Mr. Harner.
Greetings

Back