Windows 10 - Who's going to upgrade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Abbreviations are inclusive of knowledge. Even if I tell you: SSD means Solid State Drive, is it better? We’re still far from getting one to understand how it works to speed up your PC/Mac/lappie/smart device.

An SSD most people know of from the flash storage of a decent smart phone or tablet. That’s why they felt so fast compared to most PCs and else for most people when it began.

Would that I knew what any of those terms meant.

That's one thing I've noticed here (and elsewhere); using abbreviations for insider terminology is confusing. I use abbreviations like 'Henx' and 'Viki' (for Henckels and Victorinox) for myself when writing notes to myself but when posting/blogging/communicating in public with others who might not know what I'm referring to I try to write out as much as I can so noobs/lurkers can understand what I'm typing.
As an example, how many of you can decipher this? "WTS Soviet ORS T6-V11.1 (MMD, 1952-57) S#1364508 dublikat!"?
For me, in my field, that is as clear as a bell. For 99.999% of the rest of the world...?
Solid State Drive, like a fancy USB flash drive that goes inside your computer for storage. Random Access Memory, high speed temporary memory for open programs to do all the juggling of 1's and 0's. Moar of both is moar gooder. Old traditional Hard Drives go clickity-clack sometimes a spinning motor sound when doing stuff on them. Cheap in price for amount of storage, good for storing stuff, not good for doing stuff.

You could always format and install Linux

😬

Many people seem happy enough with it on their phones... or just about any server they interact with... and many embedded systems running a higher functioning OS...

IOW, in already-installed set-and-forget systems 🙃

Yup! Depending on what level of the 'OS' you want to compare... Mac bares some uncanny similarities... 🧐 Unix derivatives anyone?

IMHO 256 GB is a bit constraining. I replaced the 256 GB NVMe SSD in my Samy ATIV with a 1 TB NVMe. That with a Seagate portable HD works. It just puts off file maintenance longer.

Would that I knew what any of those terms meant.

That's one thing I've noticed here (and elsewhere); using abbreviations for insider terminology is confusing. I use abbreviations like 'Henx' and 'Viki' (for Henckels and Victorinox) for myself when writing notes to myself but when posting/blogging/communicating in public with others who might not know what I'm referring to I try to write out as much as I can so noobs/lurkers can understand what I'm typing.
As an example, how many of you can decipher this? "WTS Soviet ORS T6-V11.1 (MMD, 1952-57) S#1364508 dublikat!"?
For me, in my field, that is as clear as a bell. For 99.999% of the rest of the world...?

I sort of agree with this in principle, except that in a forum that always talks about the same things, it’s much more efficient to write “Wat” instead of Watanabe. But that’s what the glossary is for.

However, in the particular example you’re objecting to, the acronyms are just as well known as the full names. RAM and SSD are more like “SCUBA diving“ than your personal abbreviations ‘Henx’ and ‘Viki’.

I don’t like Windows 10, I’ve been told to try Windows 95 or 9.5 something like that. My local BestBuy did not have it, any idea where can I find it?

I have it running on my iPhone. 🤷

Edit: just kidding. I think @M1k3 may be having a bit of fun here. Windows 95 is so old now. Windows for Workgroups 3.11 came out in 1994. Or maybe he’s not joking and I have to brush up on my Windows knowledge. 😊

I have it running on my iPhone. 🤷

Edit: just kidding. I think @M1k3 may be having a bit of fun here. Windows 95 is so old now. Windows for Workgroups 3.11 came out in 1994. Or maybe he’s not joking and I have to brush up on my Windows knowledge. 😊
Totally kidding. I have 2 PC's and both are running Windows 10. Have nostalgia for old Windows and DOS, but... I don't miss them one single bit!

Disks are a funny thing in my experience.

My disks were pretty floppy when they were 8" or 5 1/4". When they shrunk to 3.5", they got harder but they were still 'floppy'... if you know what I mean? Several years later, my disks were still 3.5" but they actually became hard - yet there seemed to be more inside them? Now my disks are even smaller!!! About 3"! But I wouldnt describe them as hard... they seem pretty solid though...

LODERUNNER on the Apple II+ (yes, I owned an Apple clone once, to my shame - well my family did anyway) is the best game ever. Would have been even better if it had save states...

Reactions: ian
Back