Windows 10 - Who's going to upgrade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fondly recall my first Hard drive, or Winchester, was it 10Mb or even 20? Cost a fortune and would never be filled....and that seemed true as a single density floppy stored kilobytes not Megabytes...but that was well before glass was invented

Don't forget the extra $350+ if you wanted a math coprocessor chip!

Our first two PCs for running AutoCad (version 2) needed graphics cards and lots of RAM. The option for a 1 MB RAM chip was $1000 in the late 1980s. The graphics cards added about $3.5k per machine. The HDDs were 10 MB. All-in on the two PCs with monitors was close to $15k in 1987/8.

My life in computer games:

LogoWriter
Carmen Sandiego
Oregon Trail
LodeRunner
Prince of Persia
SimCity
Marathon
Myst
Myth
Oni
Unreal Tournament
Halo

(years of carpal tunnel, punctuated by stints with iPhone games like Minecraft and Tower Madness)

Borderlands 2, briefly

Totally kidding. I have 2 PC's and both are running Windows 10. Have nostalgia for old Windows and DOS, but... I don't miss them one single bit!
Remember when DOS got a graphical update?
maxresdefault.jpg

Sitting in my basement, I have a gen 1 IBM PC (complete with the monochrome monitor). Given to me by my uncle and I remember loading games from tape on it. Also have the original Compaq portable.

I'm a Linux guy and do a lot of headless work so it's all command line for me in my day job.

haha, I remember when DOS was introduced, lots of peeking an poking and never getting anything to work smoothly...at home as a kid growing up in an early adopter home I played with loads of new computers coming out, various different Z80A processor based computers, MSX, loads of tape frustration, and then a Personal Computer

Last edited:
I'm currently switching to Windows 10. Yeah, I pushed it off for as long as I could... Just annoyed that it doesn't read my soft raid. Instead of redoing a raid on my computer, I'll most likely just buy a separate NAS.

My family's first computer was an Apple IIe. We then got an Apple IIgs, and got one of the first hard drives that was 748k large. Awesome when we didn't have to put a disk in to run a program. That was magic. At this time, as an elementary kid, I was being called to the computer room to help teachers turn computers on and get them running for classes. We've gone through iterations of IBM's from 286 to 386 to 486, and then they started measuring actual processor speeds, and we started building computers.

I am a hardware guy though. Not so much a software person. I remember having to clear enough memory to install Wing Commander 2 in DOS, and I don't ever think my hate has numbed since that experience. I'm amazed at what they can do now, but I'd rather be spending my time outside. Computers seem a young man's game these days, or at least to people that have more patience than I do lol.

i just got a new thinkpad with an amd ryzen7. came with win10 preinstalled. while it worked i really dont like win10. win7 for me was usable but win10 just feels ret*rded. luckily mx/manjaro/mint works well with the 5.8 something kernel. it just works :)

One thing I do with my Win 10 is install Classic Shell. I can make windows more XP, 7 or 8 looking. No more stupid tiles.

I’d rather use Win 10 desktop interface as is. Pretty much classic shell, tiles only in start menu where they can be useful and where there’s also the list version of apps.
Start options more powerful too when right clicking, easy access to every subsystem that counts. Of course I work exclusively with Pro version so that I can gpedit out Cortana, web search, and a stream of other useless stuff. And clear out the Start menu just to have what I need there which is very little, I prefer taskbar for programs launch.

I'm a Linux guy and do a lot of headless work so it's all command line for me in my day job.
luckily mx/manjaro/mint works well with the 5.8 something kernel. it just works :)

That thread would be titled: "Debian 10 - Who's going to upgrade"... except the thread would be a year and a half old... And obsolete with 11 around the corner

😝

there’s nothing that gets me hornier than seeing 10 files in a row with the same name and different extensions.

That doesnt get me so hot around the collar. Now... different but related variable names that are all the same length - so that the assignment operators line up...

🍆🍆🍆

(each to their own)

• Haha
Reactions: ian
Remember when DOS got a graphical update?
Sure do! But hardly used it. Xtree Gold & Norton Utilities had already become good friends of mine. Haven't really taken to the Windows Power Shell either. My limited needs are well served by using the command line.
@The Edge - Whaddaya mean young man's game?!? I still like playing WinDoze... and I know some old women who play as well! 😇
@M1k3 - I used to use the Classic Shell. They (MS) finally brainwashed/inculcated me. Can't be bothered fighting them anymore. Like @ModRQC said, a lot is available to you in Win10. Keep the Start Menu and customize it like crazy. Mix it up with the Taskbar and you're done.

@Marek07 I suppose it's just my experience. All the old folks I know, i.e. my dad and neighbor growing up, have moved on from windows and modding their computers like crazy. They've just switched to Apple, and just spend their time on forums and surfing the web.

There was a time when my dad told me he could get me any program I wanted. Being a smart@ss, I asked him for the professional version of ProE, which at the time, was $20k. A month later, I had a copy. The only tricky part was connecting my computer to a friends via modem, and not the internet to fool the system into accessing the licensing certificate there, and not via their servers.

@Marek07 I suppose it's just my experience. All the old folks I know, i.e. my dad and neighbor growing up, have moved on from windows and modding their computers like crazy. They've just switched to Apple, and just spend their time on forums and surfing the web.
Must admit I sought out the Dark Side too. Bought a MacBook Pro earlier this year during lock-down just for something different to do. Ironically, I might have liked it decades ago but found I was too entrenched in the MS world.
A fellow old fart has lived and worked in the Apple space for decades but spends most of his time under the hood using Linux. He also programs Raspberry Pis to perform tasks whenever a new idea grabs his imagination. We're not dead yet! 😉

Went through IBMDOS, the MSDOS, then into OS2 for a server, then into NT4. I have a certain lack of fondness for all things Apple, especially since I like to be able to pull apart, diagnose and fix any issues myself (swapping components, upgrading internals, etc.). I've seen multiple Apple device failures that could only be addressed by slogging off to see the 'geniuses'.

Went through IBMDOS, the MSDOS, then into OS2 for a server, then into NT4. I have a certain lack of fondness for all things Apple, especially since I like to be able to pull apart, diagnose and fix any issues myself (swapping components, upgrading internals, etc.). I've seen multiple Apple device failures that could only be addressed by slogging off to see the 'geniuses'.

To be fair, it's not just apple that has that problem, but most pre-built systems. Had a Sony for a bit, and the hard drive failed. Tried to replace it, and wouldn't install because "improper hard drive serial number". Needless to say, that was my last off the shelf system. I completely agree with fixing and upgrading on your own.

It's like the OS, you're not supposed to do anything to it, just use it the way it was designed to be used as that's the perfect way.

🤣

Being the one Linux guy on my team, I got elected to try the Macbook so we could support the rest of the org. I see stuff happen on it that Windows solved over a decade ago (like unable to shutdown because a program has frozen).

I hope everybody running Microsoft Windows is running Windows 10 and looking at 20H2 or have already installed 20H2. I have 20H2 running on 3 machines. The up-to-date machines upgraded quickly and 1 of the back dated machines took 2 hours to update.

Weighing the pros and cons of starting to update our machines from 8.1 to 10. You can still get the update for free. We had planned on building new workstations this year but got way to busy, so we may go another 6-9 months on the current ones. I may play around during the slow week between x-mas and New Years with my machine (it's always the guinea pig)

Back