Wine and Wood (handles)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A random question about the stone pictured above...

When I buy cheap packs of sandpaper at the local supermarket the sheets are often the same 'Diamond World Brand'. Is there anything to stop me just using that stone like a sanding block when woodworking? Cos that'd probably save me *a lot* of money...

I am just shooting from the hip here, but I think the grit might get clogged just like sand paper. Worth a try though since it was cheap. You might just be able to wash it off.

That was my inkling, it might test my patience if I'm having to scrub it clean every 45 seconds. But as you say- it cost pretty much the same as a single sheet of sandpaper from the hardware store, so there's only one way to find out...

More random experimentation, turned out quite cool tho...

I found this weird seed thing on the ground this afternoon, apparently it was a Banksia pod. I sanded it down a bit:

IMG_1486.jpg

Filled the gaps with some odd, grey epoxy I bought a while back, and made a 'ferrule'. And then again with nice, blue epoxy:

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

Came out pretty swish looking. It'll need a bit more oil, wax, sanding and filling, and even with that I imagine will still fall apart as soon as I try to drill it. Fingers crossed not tho. These things would be very cool to get hold of properly stabilized:

IMG_1492.jpeg
IMG_1493.jpeg

Last edited:
Back