Wine geek turning knife geek

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmingio2

Reaction score
My wine cellar is full...even the floor is now covered with cases...two options...get more storage space or find new obsession...my wife doesn't understand (do they ever?). At least the knife world has me cooking all of the time which she appreciates.

My first decent J-knife was a Shun Classic 8" Chefs. Still like it and it takes and holds a good edge.

Bought myself and Edge Pro w/ Choseras so now I'm obsessed with sharpness too. Learning to strop on newspaper. Like that too for maintainance.

Awaiting my Hattori KF 240 Gyuto and Misuno Moly 130 Petty.

Want/Need a suji and paring. Advice welcome but thinking of the Carbonext 270 suji as an entry into the carbon world.

Probably need a psychiatrist too.

Cheers-Matt

Welcome, Matt!

I can't help much with advice on sujis, but I can definitely relate to having a few too many wines around and probably a few too many knives as well ;)

Looks like you've got a drinking problem - not drinking enough? :D

Welcome Matt! :)

Welcome :) I can totally relate to having too many bottle of wine laying around though I've cut down on drinking to feed my knife collection haha. As for sujihikis, ever considered the Fujiwara FKH for carbon?

I made the switch a while back, as well. Knife collecting is a much cheaper obsession and when you use them they don't disappear (at least not very quickly). CarboNEXT would be a very nice suji but it is really closer to stainless and "carbon." If you really do want something in carbon steel (virtually no chromium), get something in a Hitachi or Swedish steel. They don't stink too much.

I am still nursing both passions: wine and knives. I even do most of my wine shopping via the internet, so my 'happy' packages come both big and small. The wine hobby is much, much more expensive if you drink it and don't store it (that much). The hidden cost with knives though is the time spent on forums like this, sharpening, and doing all sorts of other knife stuff. You can drink wine with your wife, but she probably won't sit by your side while you sharpen.

k.

Well, my girl does none of the above haha. Except maybe if I pop a Sauternes or Muscato...

thanks, fellas.

I hear you. I have sold some bottles recently to fund knife purchases...no paper trail if not new cash...

cheers--cutting stuff for fajitas with my hattori whilst drinking a carlisle syrah....heaven.....

Welcome :) I can totally relate to having too many bottle of wine laying around though I've cut down on drinking to feed my knife collection haha. As for sujihikis, ever considered the Fujiwara FKH for carbon?

Do you own one? It looks decent and is wicked cheap! Nice reviews too. Looks like it might be worth a shot.

-M

Hey, welcome. I gave up my 800 bottle cellar when I moved from Germany to Hawaii :cry:Can't have it all, I guess. Have fun with the new addiction.

Stefan

Sell all the wine, buy a bunch of nice knives, and switch to beer. More versatile, pairs better with food, cheaper, and of course, delicious. And pint glasses dont break as easy as wine glasses.

Welcome!

Ha! Sucked you in! Welcome to hell!!

I really like my Hattori KF 300mm Suji, but I also have a 210 Hiromoto G3 210mm Suji that's quite handy. I prefer stainless for ease of care as I don't use every knife every day -- plenty sharp for my needs.

Welcome! oh..... no Whine here though:D

Doug!! God Damn, You!!! I blame you as much as anyone for this! I am hooked. My Hattori was a champ tonight. Especially after a Carlisle syrah, RM cab, Outpost grenache among others.

He he he! To think, all you wanted was a deal on another Shun! TOO LATE FOR YOU!!!!

deluxe-devil-mask.jpg

Do you own one? It looks decent and is wicked cheap! Nice reviews too. Looks like it might be worth a shot.

-M

Nope do not own one but it's pretty well received on these forums. When I asked for what sujis to buy the 2 that kept popping up was the FKH and the CN

Ok, so here is the question. Would you spend $1,000 on a case of 2006 Brunello di Montalcino: Casanova di Neri Tenuta Nuova or David Broadwell's SanMai Gyuto? The wine got 100 points by WS and 97 by WE. I love them both and have been hovering over David's knife at JKS, but the wife likes wine too (and only tolerates knives), so buying the wine is a much easier purchase.

Just wondering.

k.

I also love golf...so when the choice is golfcourse ....or.....intercourse.....just saying. We all have tough choices to make.

Welcome, from one wino to another.

+1 Carbonext and spend the rest on wine, at least until you know knives about as well as you know wine.

Just wondering.

Personally I'd go with the wine @ $1k/cs. It would be a tougher decision at @ 1.2k/cs.
My logic is based on the simple economics of scarcity. They can and will make new knives everyday, call David in 3 months and simply order one up. Now, 100 pt wines aren't so easy to come by, you cant just call up your favorite wine maker and ask him to whip you up a 100 pointer for delivery in a couple months. Therefore, the opportunity to obtain the wine is more rare than the opportunity to obtain the knife (unless is were a 1 of a kind with special significance, of course).
I do find the price point of the wine much more attractive at $1k because obviously there is better value there. At $100.btl you have significantly increased your options over a price point nearly $20 less, so your opportunity cost is much greater.

Of course this is all based on the premise that you have a huge appreciation for fine wine, and that you would get the same value/appreciation out of those 25-50 (depending on how well you share) glasses of wine that you would out of a lifetime of use on the knife. One would also need to disregard future value, as it sounds like your intention is consumption.
:beer:
On another note, the knife is sold. So I suppose that makes the decision easier :)

Back