WIP - Bread knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once the heat treat is complete any lateral cutting with a file will chip teeth off. I tempered this blade more than my other knives but i imagine the hrc is still in the 60 range. Im basing that on charts temps and time. I may get an hrc file set but i hear they aren't that acurate.

I think you would anyhow have to pull the hardness down quite a bit more to get any use from a normal steel file and as you say, you could chip the blade as the teeth on the file are way too coarse for hardened steel. I have also heard that HRC testing files are not too usefull. Proper tool costs around 500 - 1000 $/€ or so - I do not plan that investment anytime soon :)

That. Is. Awesome. :notworthy:

I really wanted to buy a Watanabe bread sword, but after seeing your WIP, I'm going to make one myself too next year! Thanks for the inspiration!!! :doublethumbsup:

Got a pic in some better light. It looks like there's a bit of a frown in this pic. Must be distortion or paralax or optical illusion. The edge is striaghter than ibwould have liked and something i can sharpen into more of a curve over time.

Basically yeah. Once in a while ill need to deepen the teeth but that's simple enough with a cheap dremel bit.

Cool. It does look awesome. Can't wait to heat how it goes after some time in use

Back