WIP - Nakiri, Gyuto then Birds Beak

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Major upgrade at "the forge". To the tune of 36" of ABS

I know I'm guilty of not always reading a thread to completion before posting. That having been said, I always try to before making any form of criticism. Anyway, no harm done. The heat treating part is the most unknown to me. Shaping and designing things is a bit more familiar but of course I'm no expert at that either, just an enthusiast.

I did use the nakiri all weekend to prep root veggies and it still has a razor sharp edge. Practically speaking that's a pretty good start.

i can if you want. but the admin and other knifemaker here doesn't want.

of course it's good for a first blade, but I did not know it was a first....
but I'm not to say it's great if that was not. I think it is important to progress, to show where are the imperfections.

Initial grinding complete. On to the heat treat.

I think I got the heat treat right, but initial grinding and a dip will tell the tail. I was anble to get the handle ready for final sanding while the blade tempered in the oven.

Also the blade did warp a bit during the heat treat a gradual curve but I was able to straighten it out while still hot so I think all is good. Handle is blackwood and bubinga.

Grind off the scale and check for hamon with CF. Looks like I got some decent results.

Jess, this is amazing! Let me know if you ever want to make one for someone else. :)

Thanks for the consideration but I'm just doing my own thing. I may actually give this one to a client putting a commercial kitchen into their office space. Figured that would be a cool surprise. I don't actually need it.

Jess, this is amazing! Let me know if you ever want to make one for someone else. :)

Working through the finishing and a test fit.

One I made in 4 nights next to the one I waited 8 months for. Hummm.

8 months one has a mosaic pin if that makes you feel any better. :knife:

No, not really. Oh well. Had I not bought it I would not have thought it possible to make my own and the rest is documented here.

I'm gonna make some mosaic pins just to have encase I do a full tang style.

8 months one has a mosaic pin if that makes you feel any better. :knife:

You can put a pin into a wa handle. I know I've seen that before from karl. It would also be cool in an endcap.

Jess, how much time do you have for knifemaking? The speed with witch you are progressing is very far from what I am able to achieve in my free time :) And that gyuto looks great - what geometry did you put on the blade?

I keep a photo record so I can go back and see when I start and finish. Looks like 2.5hrs a night for 4 nights, starting Monday. The knife still needs a bit more work before I mount the handle so I'd say another 2.5 hours and it's complete. My week nights are free to about 9:45pm so I take full advantage. I put the ear protection on and disappear into my head for a while. I saw ceramic belts at my local Lowes and figured I'd give them a try, made a huge difference and cut at least a night off finishing. Only downside is they only go to 120 grit, so the rest is by hand. I try to stack tasks so I'm not wasting time. For instance, the heat treating took only 15mins to heat the blade and quench, but then an hour to temper, so in that hour I cut the handle from the glued block I made a few weeks back. I know from glued block to octagonal blank only took 45mins as I still had to wait 15 mins for the timer on the stove to chime.

The blade cross section is the same, or close to it, as the nakiri, which I believe is a "workhorse" grind. I thin and flatten this out to a more wedge like grind at about 1/3 from the tip so I can do finer slicing with the tip and root chopping with the heal area. In general though, the grind in convex.

Jess, how much time do you have for knifemaking? The speed with witch you are progressing is very far from what I am able to achieve in my free time :) And that gyuto looks great - what geometry did you put on the blade?

gave her the old in-out.

I've been dreaming up a western handle style. I'll start a new thread for that one.

If you told me that gyuto was a catchside I'd believe you. Killing it. If you ever need a tester before going commercial you let me know. :viking:

Hey that's quite the compliment! And maybe insulting to Mr. Catchside. Lol

If you told me that gyuto was a catchside I'd believe you. Killing it. If you ever need a tester before going commercial you let me know. :viking:

I said looks like,I'm sure his cute better lol. If you told me the first pic was a san mai catchside mighty gyuto I'd of believed you. It really is impressive. I'm half tempted to say your my currently most watched Canadian knife maker, which is kindof sad lol.

Only victims so far are paper and potatoes. It won't get a true workout this week but I will report back. I can say that my potato test yielded the same results as the nakiri in that there was no sticking. Doesn't surprise me as I wanted the grind in the heal area to match the nakiri. I think the real test for me will be using the tip for finer work. Tip might be too thick or too thin, I dunno. I doubt it's too thin.

You really did a very nice work there. So - how does the gyuto cut? :)

Seemed to work as I hoped. Handles chopping and slicong frozen ginger with more authority than any other knife I've used, apart from my nakiri. I prefer the thicker profile to the laser thin profile of my Neeman chef.

Back