WIP Question #2 - Wroght Iron best finish

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erezj

Reaction score
Hi again, second question about my Nakiri 150 WIP.

I'm in love with wrought iron! the organic feeling, the beauty of the layers just fascinates me.

I'm a (very) small time knife maker (so far 4 knives) and am finalizing my first Nakiri, 150mm san mai wought Iron/C125.

I already had two knife studies using wrought iron with mixed results, which means they came out pretty, but I feel I am not getting 100% of the potential.

Initially I tried to polish the knife all the way through:
1000 Watanabe AI
~2000 Aoto JNS
Renge Suita
Uchi bench stone

But I got nothing but a polished face.

My best results were by using acid, then polishing lightly.

I am sure there is a better way such as the amazing work I see by Nutmag and Badger to bring out clouds, appreciate if you could share your technic on how to best bring out the organic beauty of wrought iron.

thanks

I find a tight progression of synths up to 8k before switching to naturals gives me my favourite results on wrought. I think it requires a bright polish before trying to introduce contrast via naturals on the softer darker bits.

Shapton glass 500
Chosera 1k
Chosera 3k
Takenoko/Arashiyama
Ohira suita

6947D13B-C32F-4087-8817-F744D17FC818.jpg

530EED05-38D4-42B6-B099-FEC23DC80C18.jpg

A very good opportunity would be to finish as high as possible.... Take some really fine abbrassive`s like https://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?98526-DAS-MONSTERMUCK ...This is my knife and there is no acid edging just polishing up to 12000 grit micro mesh.......

Greets Sebastian.

First of all, Sebastian, That is F### amazing sushi knife/swoard, did you make it ?
The results Badger posted, are similar to my own (much better than mine, but same scale), as a JNAT lover, I am sad to suggest that based on Sebastian shared pictures, tech wins over rJNAT :-(

Please share wroght iron polish results...
I love my JNATS on Katsumi and Kitaeji, but maybe for wrought iron, micro mesh is the better solution.
prove me wrong, please

The best detail/contrast yet for me have been with my wakasa asagi, it's a very fine stone. But I wouldn't want to try pulling that off on a bigger bevel than kiridashi really. It looks nice, but it would take some serious time investment.

First of all this is only my knife and not made by me... It was made of famous swiss Knifemaker HATTORI HANO :) ... So sad i think he didn`t make knifes any more... just swords... or maybe nothing.

I think it totally depends on the used wrought iron, so we can `t give you an perfect way to go. But i would suggest polish as high as possible and if you are not satisfied use acid like coffee, and maybe fine steelwool to polish.

greets sebastian.

Back