WIP - The tusk

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like an amazing project. Maybe I'll try something like this when I get the funds.

A bit of work on the blade. Cleaned off the scale and thinned out the edge. Need to keep polishing the blade which is intersting as i want to keep the hammer marks and pitting but also no scratches. I can see the hamon but at the same times it's obscured by the hammer marks. There's a balance to be struck.

Love the coin Mokume' idea- nice touch. Out of curiosity was there any carbon or buildup in the pocket that did not weld?

Good question but sorry to say im unsure why it didnt fuse properly. Likely i didnt get a good first weld and the issue just remained as i flattened out the billet. I cleaned all the coins with wire brush and degreaser and fluxed each piece. Call it a random and lucky failure as it occurrd so close to the edge.

Love the coin Mokume' idea- nice touch. Out of curiosity was there any carbon or buildup in the pocket that did not weld?

I have done some mokume for jewelry purposes with coins- the irregular surfaces of the coin faces are problematic- I used a hint from another forum and mixed my borax with methanol for a flux (methanol will actually dissolve the borax not just suspend it in solution). As well it will burn out consuming the oxygen and depositing the borax as a surface crystal.

You can get methanol in the US from "HEET" fuel additive at auto parts stores.

Kyle Royer (MS who has a youtube channel where he explains his fluxing trick) uses kerosene to carry his borax in making Damascus- it has a high capillary action and burns out as well- don't know if you are set up for these (methanol or kero) methods- but all in all the results look good!

Interesting WIP- thank you for sharing

Thanks. If i do it again ill check that out.

I have done some mokume for jewelry purposes with coins- the irregular surfaces of the coin faces are problematic- I used a hint from another forum and mixed my borax with methanol for a flux (methanol will actually dissolve the borax not just suspend it in solution). As well it will burn out consuming the oxygen and depositing the borax as a surface crystal.

You can get methanol in the US from "HEET" fuel additive at auto parts stores.

Kyle Royer (MS who has a youtube channel where he explains his fluxing trick) uses kerosene to carry his borax in making Damascus- it has a high capillary action and burns out as well- don't know if you are set up for these (methanol or kero) methods- but all in all the results look good!

Interesting WIP- thank you for sharing

Big fat perm marker helps itentify the low spots AND makes working through the grits a lot more efficient.

of the hamons ive created, i like this one the most.

Having two projects on the go is nice. I can stop work on one then change focus on to another with different challenges. Ive got the mokume secured to the blade and the two first tubes in place. The outer tube was so tight it needed to be hammered in.

I've switched gears on this knife. I will use the tusk for another project. I didn't anticipate the mokume to look more of copper than nickel. The copper will darken but i still can't reconcile the copper colour against the brown tusk. Im going to use this fossilized coral and henceforth this knife will be called The Rick Grimes.

Cool, i got a big piece of fossil coral here. Always wondered if it could be made into a knifehandle realky curious how yours is going to turn out

Really easy to cut and shape. Was surprised the coral cut so well without chipping.

Rick Grimes is shaping up. I flood the coral with CA glue and it soaks it right up.

Not sure if CA is necessary but you definately want to soak it with something. It's like a petrified sponge and as you sand away the factory finish you expose a very porus medium. I used CA cause it cures clear and fast. A clear varnish would work just as well. The final finish will be mineral oil for it's clarity instead of danish or tung oil.

Rick Grimes is feeling fat and sassy. I had a polished blade but didnt like the contrast agaisnt the mokume, so i gave her an acid bath and wire brush finish. The handle was designed very short and the finish had made it kind of slick when compared to my wood handles. So, the coral actually helps by adding a bit of texture to the grip which is nessesary cause of you don't have a good grip on Rick Grimes, he's gonna **** **** up.

These are supposed to cut?

I took the edge up to 1200 last night and did a potato test and the release was similar to ther others which makes sense as the grind is similar. Nothing sticks until i get into a sub 10mm dice situation. Cause of it's length i was able to get a thinner tip so i can slap chop well enough. I need to work on the edge more but so far i'm pleased.

Very cool project Jess. So - how does Mr Rick Grimes cut? :)

That's pretty wicked looking! :doublethumbsup:

Is it the pics or is the hamon really obscured by the current finish? Is the coral held on by hidden pins or just glue? It looks awesome.

Thanks for sharing, now I'm inspired to do something like make my own mother of pearl or something similar outside my comfort zone!

It's a tricky thing. A combination of the angle i took the photo and actual finish. If i dip in pure FC then the hamon really stands; also true if i polish to a mirror finish. Somewhere in between is where i want this one to start with but it will never stay that way being so reactive. I bought some new FC earlier and might give that a try. If it looks different ill post a pic.

The coral is hidden pinned.

That's pretty wicked looking! :doublethumbsup:

Is it the pics or is the hamon really obscured by the current finish? Is the coral held on by hidden pins or just glue? It looks awesome.

Thanks for sharing, now I'm inspired to do something like make my own mother of pearl or something similar outside my comfort zone!

Back