WIP W2 Mighty Mini

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric

Reaction score
image.jpg

Hi everyone. I always enjoy other WIP so I thought I would share one. Just after heat treat, quick grind to remove scale and check hamon. Now temper and the finish grinding. My goal is a substantial but small gyuto with height, heft, long flat, and thin behind edge. So we'll see how I do! Thx and as always comments and critique more than welcome. Be well-Eric

Eric - it is really cool to see another WIP here :) But tell us more - how did you get to this stage in the project (process, tools, materials, etc.). When did you start with knifemaking?

Well....i am fortunate to live in Seattle where there are a number of great knife makers. I have taken several work shops at Dave lischs studio. Like most here I started because I was interested in how the amazing knives shown here were made. Several years ago I spent a week in Michigan with Randy and Jr. Anyway...... I took a w2 class several years ago and made a cool little gyuto-I posted it on here back then.. I find myself reaching for that knive most times, despite having many others. Probably cause I made it, not that it's anything great, but I also like the size its smallish 180 cm or so but still has height and a long flat section. Anyway I wanted to make a similar one but with more heft, the other is very thin throughout.

So so I got some w2 from Aldo about a year ago, but life got in the way and just getting back to this. I cut out the profile on my portable bandsaw from harbor freight, rough ground it on my grinder-. Then I cleaned it, applied rut lands furnace cement, heated at 1475 for 10minutes, quenched in parks 50, tempered at 400 for 2 hrs and so it sits. Fwiw I'm just doing this for fun. Thanks for your interest. More to come.....

Very cool. It looks like the hamon turned out beautifully. What grit did you use to rough check it?

Yes- I'm really happy with how the hamon turned out. Took the scale off with 36 then just quick 60-120 progression to see the hamon.

Did the blade cool between scale removal and temper phase?

Never mind. Read the last paragraph again. Beer a foise gras in montreal makes for tired eyes.

View attachment 32021

Ok this is my grind. Pretty flat, but thin at the edge and still substantial at spine. I'll show the distal taper next round. Now I need to hand sand.......I wish I had some rhynowet- it's on my list. More tomorrow.

Got some gidgee glued on and now to shape the handle

image.jpg

Huh? Not uploading for some reason? Not sure why, will try again later.

Would you look at that. Really nice Eric. I envision this knife in a big hand of a big man (or woman). What is the final weight, where is the balance and hows the taper? The handle looks a little glassy, what did you use?

Thanks. Tung oil, which is still wet, hence the gloss. I'll post more images later to show finished handle. Specs to follow. Handle does look a bit large to me too in the photos, feels nice though. Specs to follow. ER

Latest posts

Back