WIP - Western full tang

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessf

Reaction score
Started a new project. This time a full tang western style handle. Blade will be around 190mm long and 50mm high at the heal. This time using 1/8" thick 1084 instead of the 5/32" I used on the first three 1084 knives. Handle will be bubinga and wenge with mosaic pins.

I'm very interested I will be attempting this sans power tools soon. Not sure if I'll attempt pins though. That's fancy. Nice looking blade btw, I like the shape. Large flat spot and a gentle curve to a fine tip.

Ill ease out the flat spot a bit and I'm toying with flatten it out to get a bit more height. 50mm feels a bit small at the heal as it will be closer to 43mm where you cut assuming a pinch grip.

I'm very interested I will be attempting this sans power tools soon. Not sure if I'll attempt pins though. That's fancy. Nice looking blade btw, I like the shape. Large flat spot and a gentle curve to a fine tip.

I am looking forward to see the progress here :)

Godslayer - it can be done sans-power tools, but if you build yourself a filing jig (look at youtube videos by Aaron Gough), than you will be able to get very consistent grinds. It will take you a few hours of work to get the bevels ground on a gyuto knife. I needed about 6-7 with 240mm knife and 3.2mm thick D2 stock.

I've seen videos of people scribing the centre line of the blade then grinding to it, or making jogs to hold at a certain angle. I seem to have luck with just free handing it and getting everything straight. It all gets trued on the stones anyway, so as long as you're not cross eyed you might be able to go for it. Balls to the wall.

I admire how you manage to finish one project first before starting another one. I have currently 7 different project in different stages of completion, but nothing finished yet. But I gave myself a word that I will not start another one before finishing at least 3 of the current ones.

Yeah but who knows, your completed knife might be the greatest cutting implement known the human kind. Pics, and only pics tell the tail.

I admire how you manage to finish one project first before starting another one. I have currently 7 different project in different stages of completion, but nothing finished yet. But I gave myself a word that I will not start another one before finishing at least 3 of the current ones.

I am working on the photos at this very moment - and I am nearly finished :) But thank you for motivating to finish at least some of them :)

A hamon with three fingers this time.

A test mosaic pin. I may be able to use this one. Flooded it with CA

The above is the first pin. Conceptually it's just tubes inside of tubes held together with glue of some kind. I cut a 1" section of all the materials and just inserted them and positioned the tubes in an array then flooded with thin CA glue. If there was more space between the tubes I would have used epoxy thinned with heat.

I guess the hardest part is finding the materials. I have several hobby stores near me that sell both metric and imperial brass, aluminiun and copper tubes.

I can not wait to see that blade finished.

You even do your own mosaic pins? cool :)

Canadian long weekend. Time to drink beer until I can't feel feelings anymore.

I'll pick this up next week.

photobucket is being worthless, so I'm using another free online service. See how long that works.

Looks great :) BTW I really recommend Flickr for photos. You get a direct link you copy-paste when writing a comment here and can even select the size. And no advertising.

Now I see Fujiwara meets HHH lol. The handle looks amazing and the finger rest is a nice touch.

yeah, compared to my Neeman, which really doesn't have a coke bottle shape, this one feels like it was meant for my hand.

I think i've got one more in me but I need to take a brake for a bit. I didn't stop long enough to make a saya for the gyuto so I should do that. Right now it's wrapped in cardboard and stuck in a drawer.

Latest posts

Back