WIP - Western hidden tang

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessf

Reaction score
Thought I'd give some forge welding a try.

A blade I finished previously. Thought I was going to do another wa handle but that idea bored me so I filed in a continuous shoulder.

The stack will be a mokunmokume gane bolster, black spacer then a smaller gane spacer then another black line then the handle. Going for a French style handle, which I think kind of look like a penis, so I'll square it out a bit.

Thank bro. The forge welding the mokume gane was the real test. Was worried it would uncover a void as I ground away material. Apparently I had some all nickel quarters in there which created the lighter lines. The handle is also much thinner in profile than my other blades but overall it has nice accountance and a pinch grip feels really solid. Blade is 1084 steel.

I clamped a lot of currency together then heated white hot and let it cool. This starts the weld enough such that I can remove the clamp and all the pieces don't fall apart. I then reheat the stack white hot and begin forging and flattening out. This sets the weld and also removes all voids. I did a few heats this way and it was done.

Beautiful knife, that bolster is really nice, I can't stop looking at it

Very nice looking knife.
Really like that blade.
Thuya burl?
Did you need any flux between the coins?

Amboyna burl. I used plumbers flux for what it's worth.

Thanks for the info matus. So far ive just gone to 2000 grit and you can see a hamon only at certain angles. Ill give flitz or old silver a try if i can find some.

I found some old car polish and gave her the o'l spit and rub.

Works really well at brining out the hamon on this 1095 blade

A bit more oil on the handle and some auto polish and its ready to work.

Latest posts

Back