WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is simply gorgeous! What temp did you smoke this at? I'm seriously considering doing this myself.....but I can only reliably keep the temp above 200F in my smoker.

You can certainly hot smoke bacon if you have to.

You can certainly hot smoke bacon if you have to.

At that point it'd be fully cooked though, right? applying heat would be only for rendering and/or crisping?....maybe 200F would render it too?

Wow, that does look great. O.k., here's a stupid question: What are you doing with all that bacon? Eat it like it is? Can that be frozen?

Stefan

At that point it'd be fully cooked though, right? applying heat would be only for rendering and/or crisping?....maybe 200F would render it too?

Nothing wrong with it being fully cooked. You won't lose much to render at 200 as one big piece. Before I could have them smoked I would grill them then finish them in a low oven.

Wow, that does look great. O.k., here's a stupid question: What are you doing with all that bacon? Eat it like it is? Can that be frozen?

Stefan

Since bacon is fatty it does freeze very well. And the nature of the curing process, grain of the meat and way you slice and cook bacon, it doesn't suffer from a freeze much.

Thank you for all the kind comments,
To answer the smoking question, I started with ice cold meat, used a very small fire to start and over a couple of hours brought the temps up to 230. I smoked the side until it was 175 internal, about 4 1/2 hours with apple wood. I will freeze some and a couple of hungry friends already have their hands out.
The biggest difference from the commercial product is the lack of water in the meat, it fries up so nicely and develops a crust quickly. This has been a very fun project.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the kind comments,
To answer the smoking question, I started with ice cold meat, used a very small fire to start and over a couple of hours brought the temps up to 230. I smoked the side until it was 175 internal, about 4 1/2 hours with apple wood. I will freeze some and a couple of hungry friends already have there hand out.
The biggest difference from the commercial product is the lack of water in the meat, it fries up so nicely and develops a crust quickly. This has been a very fun project.

I'm very much interested in this...did you have to ask a butcher for this? just ask for "a porkbelly?"

Jim -

That looks fantastic! Awesome job!

What is wrong with the world that I can't buy this anywhere??? Clearly this is everything bacon should be.

Jim:

I have a question for you. Did you use pink salt in the rub?

If you didn't, that bacon is just one huge smoke ring. :jawdrop:

What is wrong with the world that I can't buy this anywhere??? Clearly this is everything bacon should be.

Do you mean pork belly...or bacon as amazing as that? Shops all around here in Boston area have pork belly, but usually already trimmed. I have to request a side like that.

Now bacon like Jim's...that's a different story....nothing like that in the shops:D

Jim:

I have a question for you. Did you use pink salt in the rub?

If you didn't, that bacon is just one huge smoke ring. :jawdrop:

Yes I did use pink salt in the cure sat for 8 days in it. Had some today and it was PDG.

Do you mean pork belly...or bacon as amazing as that? Shops all around here in Boston area have pork belly, but usually already trimmed. I have to request a side like that.

Now bacon like Jim's...that's a different story....nothing like that in the shops:D

The bacon! I mean, seriously, why doesn't someone around here do this?? It'd be addicting, having that kind of pig meat close by with no work involved...

What are your ratios Jim?

I used the basic cure found in all the books
450 g salt
225 g sugar
50 g Pink salt

I do fool around with swapping out brown sugar and maple syrup with the sugar. In this case I added 1/2 brown sugar and an extra cup of Maple syrup.
Black pepper,rosemary and sage.

You just need enough to give it a good coat.

Wow, that is pricey. I normally get it for just under $3 a lbs. It's not local or organic tho, just factor farm typical.

The upside is handcrafted Bacon from a specialty store is 18.00 a lb + shipping!

I may need to perfect my curing and smoking technique...

Just curious. I personally set all my ratios by the weight of the protein. I'm also working in a pro environment where I have to maintain safe, consistent results. Although I will say- once you get those salt ratios down( sodium chloride and sodium nitrate/nitrite), it takes a helluva lot of the guess work out of the equation! Looks like your method is working great for you, so take that all with a grain of salt:)

Back