Wire Edge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgertooth

Reaction score
Not a big post but I just had to grab the macro lens when this little ghoulie pinged off after a little stropping and deburring. Feather light edge leading strokes on a chosera 1k. More meaningful edge trailing strokes on leather and the coup de grace was the hard felt and it made the tiniest only-just-audible ping. As clear an example as I think you'll ever see. It also explains the bouncy, OOTB edge on the Wakui.

Now..

Now she's fierce

That is very cool, thanks for sharing that. I'm pretty new to sharpening and one of my knives is a Tanaka Damascus Blue #2 Santoku. I keep working that edge on a 5000 grit Shapton Pro trying to get better and sharper. It's been getting pretty sharp but just this weekend I thought I was about done and I got the loupe out to look at the edge. There it was, my first ever wire edge, at least that I had seen. I took that off with a felt block, honed two very light strokes on the 5000 again then honed it a bit on the leather. Holy crap, that did it, I was so proud I went and made garlic chips to add to our green beans for dinner.
20160813_164926.jpg

Thanks for posting. I've never had a wire edge (HA!) so was curious as to what one looked like.

Curious as to the scale -- what magnification is that?

I'm not sure, but consider that the felt block is about an inch in each direction. And I cropped a little after taking the macro shot. Id say the highest point of the wire above the felt is abt 5mm

I don't think it offers all the much over a cork as a pull through method. I just use it I have it to hand and because EVERY goddam bottle of wine in New Zealand is under screwcap.

Yeah, it's always a surprise when you see an actual wire edge like that. Most of mine are a little finer and appear as black crud that looks powdery on the felt or wood (I tend to use the end grain of some soft pine for removing burrs).

When you do get a proper edge without a burr or wire edge, it's an eye opener!

Peter

Latest posts

Back