• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bought Withdrawn.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkLobster

Banned
Reaction score
I've been thinking over which one of my knives should get the boot and well... this post tells the verdict.

This has been used for about two extended prep sessions and has not been sharpened or stropped.

I paid about $2000 with taxes and shipping into account a few months ago.

Price: $1660 shipped CONUS or $1600 via Wise (able to provide plenty of references on request).

The price is firm for the time being as this is priced to move. I am not in a rush to sell, but it would be nice if this could be gone before my birthday 😂

Try some lemon juice or dry uchi powder
I tried with the lemon juice as I don't have dry uchi powder on hand to no avail. I'm sure there is banding (note: I have no idea what I'm talking about) from my limited understanding of metallurgy but my skills aren't quite there yet to bring it out to its fullest potential.

95EC2310-0FD9-48FD-8610-EB75A453FC36.gif

@Greasylake

Hello everyone,

For those who had time to see my last post, we had made the decision to remove the post from the group so as not to attract the attention of the scammer.

So this time I will be completely transparent with the information we have accumulated. First of all, I really wanted to thank you for the help you gave me in finding the knife from the first intervention. Unfortunately we have not been able to rescue the knife and unfortunately we have not had any success with either PayPal or UPS.

I hope that the information we have gathered will be useful to you as much for certified sellers as for buyers. The customer is Matthew Choy, he purchased the Hitohira Togashi Yohei White #1 Fuji Mizu Honyaki Gyuto 240mm Ziricote #30 on April 20 through PayPal. He specifically asked to ship the package via UPS since he had had several issues with DHL, USPS and Fedex. The package was shipped to Berkeley, California and then was redirected and delivered to East Syracuse. The problem is that UPS cannot validate the information that it was the buyer who redirected the package, so for them the package went to the correct delivery address. The customer therefore made a complaint to PayPal, which was obviously successful even after several calls from us. The knife quickly ended up on the user's market on the kitchenknifeforums, thank you for finding it quickly! Following this discovery Zach Peters trying to get in touch with the suspect who obviously denies everything, but the evidence is there it is indeed the scammer! The next day the knife mysteriously disappears from the site in question.

If you find yourself or if you have any clues about the knife, do not hesitate to contact me. I will also make available all available information on the situation to all certify sellers who wish be notice.

Hoping to be able to help our community grow and protect itself against this kind of incident. Thanks again for your help guys!

@Greasylake

Hello everyone,

For those who had time to see my last post, we had made the decision to remove the post from the group so as not to attract the attention of the scammer.

So this time I will be completely transparent with the information we have accumulated. First of all, I really wanted to thank you for the help you gave me in finding the knife from the first intervention. Unfortunately we have not been able to rescue the knife and unfortunately we have not had any success with either PayPal or UPS.

I hope that the information we have gathered will be useful to you as much for certified sellers as for buyers. The customer is Matthew Choy, he purchased the Hitohira Togashi Yohei White #1 Fuji Mizu Honyaki Gyuto 240mm Ziricote #30 on April 20 through PayPal. He specifically asked to ship the package via UPS since he had had several issues with DHL, USPS and Fedex. The package was shipped to Berkeley, California and then was redirected and delivered to East Syracuse. The problem is that UPS cannot validate the information that it was the buyer who redirected the package, so for them the package went to the correct delivery address. The customer therefore made a complaint to PayPal, which was obviously successful even after several calls from us. The knife quickly ended up on the user's market on the kitchenknifeforums, thank you for finding it quickly! Following this discovery Zach Peters trying to get in touch with the suspect who obviously denies everything, but the evidence is there it is indeed the scammer! The next day the knife mysteriously disappears from the site in question.

If you find yourself or if you have any clues about the knife, do not hesitate to contact me. I will also make available all available information on the situation to all certify sellers who wish be notice.

Hoping to be able to help our community grow and protect itself against this kind of incident. Thanks again for your help guys!
Thanks for the information, so the package was redirected by someone else? Can that even be done?

Thanks for the information, so the package was redirected by someone else? Can that even be done?
I’m not fully understanding that. But from the comments, it seems the buyer, @OkLobster, may have redirected it to NY. I don’t understand why the other coast, but it seems mr.ok initiated a refund with PayPal and then tried to sell the knife on here.

I just pasted what was in FB. I believe the seller took a hit on the physical knife and lost the money from PayPal.
Right I don't see how the seller can take a hit if they can provide shipping information. Speaking from experience as a seller with a buyer who made a similar claim. I provided paypal claims department with shipping information and was not penalised.

Bake at 450deg until done:

1. Buyer has a PP confirmed address (just like everybody else).
2. Buyer buys knife, pays with PP using this address, requests UPS.
3. UPS tries to deliver package to address, leaves paper door notice, which buyer uses to have the package re-directed to another address.
4. Buyer files PP claim since it was not in fact delivered to their confirmed PP address.
5. PP issues refund to buyer because PP won't get involved in the nuances of UPS. (Seller says buyer re-directed package, buyer points the finger at seller, PP sides with buyer.)
6. Seller is effed.

Have I understood the sequence correctly?
If so, further proof perhaps to deal with known members. I haven't seen it yet, but I wonder if we're close to seller-imposed post-count/join date restrictions in WTS listings?

Bake at 450deg until done:

1. Buyer has a PP confirmed address (just like everybody else).
2. Buyer buys knife, pays with PP using this address, requests UPS.
3. UPS tries to deliver package to address, leaves paper door notice, which buyer uses to have the package re-directed to another address.
4. Buyer files PP claim since it was not in fact delivered to their confirmed PP address.
5. PP issues refund to buyer because PP won't get involved in the nuances of UPS. (Seller says buyer re-directed package, buyer points the finger at seller, PP sides with buyer.)
6. Seller is effed.

Have I understood the sequence correctly?
If so, further proof perhaps to deal with known members. I haven't seen it yet, but I wonder if we're close to seller-imposed post-count/join date restrictions in WTS listings?
Seller provides all shipping documentation. Paypay refunds buyer with all the millions of dollars of fees they collect from all the sellers. Paypal seller protection is a thing I have been provided in this very sort of instance. Seller can't be penalised for every worldwide postal error. The seller's transaction is complete.

How PayPal Seller Protection works​

1. If a buyer files a claim, or in case of a chargeback or a payment reversal, we may place a temporary hold on the funds.
2. We’ll ask you to provide information including proof of shipment or proof of delivery within the time frame communicated.
3. You’ll be able to access the money as soon as we have ascertained that your transaction is eligible.

This is wild!

Perhaps only good thing in the whole farrago (if I'm understanding it correctly) is that @Whetted_edge recognised a knife that had 'gone missing', pretended to want to buy it via PM, but was actually going undercover to expose the scam... Kudos!

Back