Wok burner in Europe

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainman890

Reaction score
Hi there,

So I'm looking at getting into wok cooking, and there are some good resources and choices, but they are mainly in the US. Is there anyone here that has some experience with wok cooking in Europe?

I want something that really cooks, not just a camping burner. I have seen this one in action (and tasted the results), but it's a bit pricey. Dragon Wokburner

I was recommended this one too, but it seems a bit underpowered: Hot Wok - BBQ Experience Center

I've checked a bit on grillsportverein (German Forum), but they are a bit toxic over there, and all seem to just want to import stuff from Asia...

Any help is appreciated, but it might be a long shot. Thanks!

maybe you can build one yourself? can't be that complicated?

Same journey here, I have the supposedly 12KW in your second link and can vouch for the fact it is underpowered (basically it does not put out 12KW but much closer to ~8/9)

There is another thread in here, and the verdict is to import ...I never got around to do that as the seller was not very communicative.... but today I just picked up a new gas tank and was looking around again...(BOY did they hike the gas price up)

The item of interest appears a twin of that ridiculously priced 'Dragon Wokburner' for a much lower price....
You want a bowl to protect the flame from wind, piezo ignition, and decent power adjustment and as much power as you can get hold of....

Will dig up the thread, meanwhile paging @Michi

THIS is the one;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3032023530...v0UXFUMWwcUU8jz8SZvddKeBmuPP|tkp:BFBMwozxgoBg

maybe you can build one yourself? can't be that complicated?
there are some YT videos showing it can be done, I voted against as the combination of DIY and high pressure flammable gas and fire did not seem like a great concept for staying burn free...know your limitations and all that, I'm sure it can be done.

Same journey here, I have the supposedly 12KW in your second link and can vouch for the fact it is underpowered (basically it does not put out 12KW but much closer to ~8/9)

There is another thread in here, and the verdict is to import ...I never got around to do that as the seller was not very communicative.... but today I just picked up a new gas tank and was looking around again...(BOY did they hike the gas price up)

The item of interest appears a twin of that ridiculously priced 'Dragon Wokburner' for a much lower price....
You want a bowl to protect the flame from wind, piezo ignition, and decent power adjustment and as much power as you can get hold of....

THIS is the one;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3032023530...v0UXFUMWwcUU8jz8SZvddKeBmuPP|tkp:BFBMwozxgoBg

Hey, thanks for this! It comes from the US though, which means that we need a pressure regulator to attach to propane tanks here, right? Do you know which one?

As for building my own, I am not nearly confident in my skills to mess around with that...

I could just ask Kenji, but I doubt he knows anything about Europe.. 😃

Also, did you end up getting it and installing it? I'd like to hear your experience. We are building an outdoor kitchen (probably), the idea is to integrate it in there... @MarcelNL

a buddy of mine got one of these. maybe not the same brand though.

some of the parts that looked like cast iron was just sheet steel and then painted black. lol.
and some of these would get very hot and then the paint would turn into a gas/smoke.

i burned all that paint off with acetylene.

there are some YT videos showing it can be done, I voted against as the combination of DIY and high pressure flammable gas and fire did not seem like a great concept for staying burn free...know your limitations and all that, I'm sure it can be done.

for me its the opposite. i work with very high pressure gases/oil/machines all day long so i definitely want to make sure its assembled correctly. diy here means you know its working as supposed. no guessing. guessing gets you killed.

for me its the opposite. i work with very high pressure gases/oil/machines all day long so i definitely want to make sure its assembled correctly. diy here means you know its working as supposed. no guessing. guessing gets you killed.
completely agree! Know your limitations, or 'In der Beschränkung zeigt sich der Meister' I have the knowledge to build one, and think I could assemble it properly, but the uncertainty about the last % makes me walk away from that project....

On the other hand, building a Ramjet seems like a fun project and it probably could double as Wok burner :angel:

Hey, thanks for this! It comes from the US though, which means that we need a pressure regulator to attach to propane tanks here, right? Do you know which one?

As for building my own, I am not nearly confident in my skills to mess around with that...

I could just ask Kenji, but I doubt he knows anything about Europe.. 😃

THAT exactly was the part where the seller could not even specify what pressure the nozzles require, in the end I will be able to find a (adjustable) regulator and connect the thing to my propane tank. It works for the coffee roaster, for the current wok burner....just tell me what PSI, Bar, Atm, KPa the damn thing needs, all he could offer was that it 'comes with the regulator' , as if propane tanks have global standards in connectors.

So no I did not get it...I may go for a second attempt.....

(that thing is DEFINITELY for outside, all wokkíng is)

BTW: the brand is supposedly the Vietnamese Namilux but their website does not show this model...

Last edited:
propane tanks usually have national standards for connectors/threads afaik. or 1 completely dominating system.

I think I found the piece from within Vietnam, now just to find out if they want to ship internationally....price can't be beat at 790.000 dong (31 euro)

That looks very similar to mine (picture here). I don't have the fancy piezo igniter, but that's not a big deal for me. In terms of heat output, that burner is awesome. I bought mine for about $35 twenty years ago, and I can't see it failing before I die :)

Last edited:
Now I just have to polish up my best Vietnamese to barter for an international shipment ...will report back.

i got the Thunder Wok off of Amazon for $98 american. it looks like they took the same burner and put it into a fancy table top at TheWonderWok. the regulator doenst look like anything i can buy in the USA, so i showed it to my propane shop. they said it would be safe to use, and it if ever failed they can crimp on a more typical one. its been five years. i hate how it threads to the insides of the propane bottle nozzle and not the outside like we see here in the States. but it is functional.

I find it funny how a gas guzzling wok burner (the one I linked to 'does 2kg propane/hr) is put forward as 'green'.

Problem with anything US based is that import duty, VAT and S&H adds up, shipping rates US>EU are ridiculous at the moment and I'm staying away. (I recently had 4 custom Chokes shipped from Taiwan by Fedex for 90$, shipping this burner that weighs as much as a single choke will cost 73$ using the rather useless 'priority international')

For my coffee roasting I'm using an IR burner, the system works great but there is one major drawback and that is longevity of the ceramics. Now for that IR burner I can contact the roaster manufacturer and get any part delivered in like 2 weeks, in my case the repair was swapping out the aluminium gas/air mixer bowl inclusive of the ceramics.

For a group buy of this Wok burner (does it say how many KW or BTU it puts out, of gas usage per hour?) I'd strongly suggest to obtain replacement ceramics provided they can be replaced!

BTW for those in EU, I have contacted a store in Vietnam about the 27KW Namilux and have asked if they will ship one or more pieces internationally, shipping wil likely be expensive at 10Kg each...

Hi there,

So I'm looking at getting into wok cooking, and there are some good resources and choices, but they are mainly in the US. Is there anyone here that has some experience with wok cooking in Europe?

I want something that really cooks, not just a camping burner. I have seen this one in action (and tasted the results), but it's a bit pricey. Dragon Wokburner

I was recommended this one too, but it seems a bit underpowered: Hot Wok - BBQ Experience Center

I've checked a bit on grillsportverein (German Forum), but they are a bit toxic over there, and all seem to just want to import stuff from Asia...

Any help is appreciated, but it might be a long shot. Thanks!
Have you considered an induction wok?

Have you considered an induction wok?
how would you get anywhere near enough power to stir fry on a 230V 16A outlet , that equals ~3.5KW?
I can vouch for the fact that ANY stir frying starts at 5KW but my current 9KW burner is still not enough....power is KING for a Wok!

how would you get anywhere near enough power to stir fry on a 230V 16A outlet , that equals ~3.5KW?
I can vouch for the fact that ANY stir frying starts at 5KW but my current 9KW burner is still not enough....power is KING for a Wok!
Agree. I thought about it for a while, but there's nothing like the real thing. :)

Plus, have you ever played with a jet of fire? It's really fun and crazy to cook on!

Not sure. How many Kw from your 9kw burner goes up in the air? I read variously that gas is somewhere between 25% and 40% effective heat transfer; that puts the 9 kw effectivity at 2,25-4 kw - which is maybe why it is not enough if stir frying starts at 5kw? As I said, it's a consideration. Personal choice in the end, I guess.

Not sure. How many Kw from your 9kw burner goes up in the air? I read variously that gas is somewhere between 25% and 40% effective heat transfer; that puts the 9 kw effectivity at 2,25-4 kw - which is maybe why it is not enough if stir frying starts at 5kw? As I said, it's a consideration. Personal choice in the end, I guess.

If the power of induction is close (it sure is closer to that than gas is) almost 100% efficiently transferred it would mean that I can stir fry on the induction hob...I tried, no dice.

You simply need crazy power real short, for stir frying , and you want the smokiness from the fire licking around the wok.

You can get induction forges that make bar stock glow, so don’t think it’s an issue of power with induction, it’s more the ability to heat the sides of the wok directly. Someone who knew what they were doing could probably make one

surely induction as principle will work, yet you'd need some serious amount of power going into your garden to an outlet to plug it into...

I'll stick with propane for stir frying.

You simply need crazy power real short, for stir frying , and you want the smokiness from the fire licking around the wok.

I got a one way can small burner about 2-3 kw, to check out what I like. The round bottom of woks is great to combine aromatics. I love that. Downside is the burner moving around when hit. I'ld like a burner I don't have to care for.

A cast iron wok ring might help. The wide part of a plant pot is no proper substitute. Something like this 12kw burner looks promising to me.

Everybody recommends lots of power. From my little experience 6kw should be more than enough to me. But usually it is a good idea to follow advice. Green pepper beef with black bean. This burner sounds more like 60kw than 6kw. Would this 12kw be a sufficient "one buy"?

@Rainman890
Some stuff about 100€ available within EU. What range of power and price are you looking for?

I got a one way can small burner about 2-3 kw, to check out what I like. The round bottom of woks is great to combine aromatics. I love that. Downside is the burner moving around when hit. I'ld like a burner I don't have to care for.

A cast iron wok ring might help. The wide part of a plant pot is no proper substitute. Something like this 12kw burner looks promising to me.

Everybody recommends lots of power. From my little experience 6kw should be more than enough to me. But usually it is a good idea to follow advice. Green pepper beef with black bean. This burner sounds more like 60kw than 6kw. Would this 12kw be a sufficient "one buy"?

@Rainman890
Some stuff about 100€ available within EU. What range of power and price are you looking for?
Hey,

Thanks for this. I think the above discussion is on point: you need a lot of power to truly use a wok. I've recently had some cooked for me, and the taste is worth it.

So the links you sent are interesting, but not strong enough. I think a simple robust burner like they use on the streets of southeast Asia would be perfect. 😃 MarcelNL is investigating, and I might import something else if that doesn't work...

Simple and well built, like the knives that we all are here for...

Back