Wok Burner (UK)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Migraine

Reaction score
I want to buy/put together a proper, hardcore, jet engine, singe-your-eyebrows Wok burner for stirfrying outdoors.

Is this feasible? Is there anything off-the-shelf, or will I need to buy parts and put it together (not averse to doing the latter if need be)?

I don't have mains gas, will a bottle be sufficient to power something like this? It's not like I'll be using it everyday, but I'm fed up of half-arsed stirfrys off the crappy ceramic electric hob we have.

I'm based in the UK so please bear that in mind when making suggestions.

Cheers!

No direct XP of buying a wok burner, but there’s plenty of options geared around gas cylinders and 10kw+ burners available like this. Realistically I’m just Googling on your behalf, but I suspect there‘s not a huge amount in it.

I can feel slightly smug as we bought a Fisher Paykel range cooker with a comparatively powerful (for a domestic stove) triple ring burner (5kw+). Not great, but fine for 2 and a world away from the slow sizzle you usually get at home

You might also want to consider a camping stove as a a halfway house - I have one of these , which is meatily powerful for something so small. The downside Is that it requires expensive little gas canisters and you may need to fashion some kind of more robust wok stand and windbreak. It is decent though - I‘ve fond memories of stir frying on a deserted Welsh pier many years ago

I recently bought a propane Foker outdoor wok burner, rated at something like 9 KW and think 10 is the lower limit to consider...
BTW: Look for wind deflection of some sort, I am on the lookout for a better one...like the mentioned jet burner.

Get one with ignition and if possible a pilot flame, nothing more annoying than having to fetch a lighter in the middle of cooking IME...that powerflamer 160 looks the part, now just to find it locally. I seem to recall @Michi has one...

great find Michi! I searched Ebay and somehow it used to show the item even if destined for a different market but apparently that changed...

I will buy this !

(First I'll check is Ali has the same as that is likely cheaper due to more direct shipping than via the US)

(frankly as I'm fed up with flame outs due to wind gusts that seem to always happen when stir frying)

Last edited:
Guy was super helpful. Have ordered that plus the other bits I need which he advised on. Looking forward to it coming!

Guy was super helpful. Have ordered that plus the other bits I need which he advised on. Looking forward to it coming!
what presssure does the thing need? ( mine can only handle 30mBar but my coffee roaster works on 50mBar)

what presssure does the thing need? ( mine can only handle 30mBar but my coffee roaster works on 50mBar)
I have zero experience with this stuff so bear with me.

He advised me to get a high pressure regulator like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114561839692
Which says it's rated 0.5-2bar. I can't see anything on the burner listing...drop him a message, he replied in like 20 minutes.

I will, our connector to the propane bottle appears different (of course, why standardize things internationally, that would make life boring), I have 2 Bar regulator for my weed killer flame thrower (very satisfying to use!)

I suspect full 2 Bar is a bit much , will see what he says.

I am using similar wok burner lately. You need high pressure regulator. It's consumption is insane - 2.5 kg hour, but it is a door to the underworld. Be very careful. And it is spitting flames sideways - so make sure it is at least 30-40 cm away from anything flammable.

I have been doing stir fries lately in 30 cm wok and even at third of its power is aplenty for the batches I use.

so...he responded fast enough, yet the answer is a bit puzzling...
he replied saying I'd need to use the hose and regulator so I'd best find an adapter and he is not aware of the required pressure :oops:

Fuel consumption must be high, horses need proper feed ;-) You only need this high heat for short bursts, but you do need it, at least I do.

I plan to only use it outside, well away from anything flammable, thanks for the warning!

14 inches seem a bit small.... might want to check with the burner guy on the dimension of the woks normally used...

Also, wooden handle like that will probably get damaged/burn pretty fast.

Check out this dude's wok and burner for a good reference. His Wok skillz are pretty legit.

ni1QzDD.jpg

Lol this thing is a beast, way bigger than I realised.

Is that hose pushed far enough on if I then jubilee clip it? I'm not sure if it is but I cannot get it to go any further, unless there's a trick I'm missing

Attachments

• IMG_20210603_204706.jpg
    IMG_20210603_204706.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210603_204646.jpg
    IMG_20210603_204646.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 19
How did you get it delivered this fast :oops:

I'd try to get that hose a bit further, as the pressure is pretty high, but more importantly do check for leaks under pressure with gas leak fluid/soapy water before use!

How did you get it delivered this fast :oops:

I'd try to get that hose a bit further, as the pressure is pretty high, but more importantly do check for leaks under pressure with gas leak fluid/soapy water before use!

They are based in the UK same as me so quick delivery.

Is there any trick to getting the hose on further? Googling suggests I may need some sort of lube.

Ok a bit of mineral oil and I got it over the ridges onto the smooth part, that feels a lot better.

yeah, I promised myself not to engage in major DIY for potentially dangerous stuff involving high powered gas applications...

I'm interested to hear how the burner is doing IRL, yesterday I cooked some chinese ..no wind, and again I was underwhelmed with the 6ish kW of power of my current burner, so a want is still present.

I've only briefly had the one I got going in the garage to check it was working. It goes exactly like the video on the eBay page (see below). I.e. like a jet engine. I'm impressed.

Back