Wok Burner (UK)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I'd share my homemade solution to a wok burner. I already have a 200000 btu 10" burner I got for my 50cm carbon steel pan, but I've been hoping to get a wok and the 10" burner is just too big for proper concentrated heat for proper wok cooking. I needed a way to reduce the size of the flame. After thinking about many ways to accomplish this, I found the solution... a brake drum. After finding one of the appropriate size (for $20 on Amazon), a little machining later, making the opening 5.75" diameter, it works great. Now I've got to get the wok and start cooking!

IMG_6767.jpg

Last edited:
After finding one of the appropriate size (for $20 on Amazon), a little machining later, making the opening 5.75" diameter, it works great.
It doesn't look like it lacks solidity. What's the weight of that thing? Must be close to 30 kg all up? :D

start at the front of 'every grain of rice' by Fuchsia Dunlop and work your way through it 😁

Looks great!

A pot with a lid works as long as they can steam. I use recycled plastic bags from the grocery store. If I am real serious and I buy a bushel of New Mexico hatch peppers then it takes 23-quart plastic zip locks bags. I store them in the freezer and get 1 quart at a time. It seems to be the right amount for me to use.

Covid messed up my annual hatch run. I do the 50 bag of med hots Usually

ive been charring small batches for a long time after a lady showed me how. A pot works awesome. They steam. I use a pot to steam food, so it steams.

Me too. I don't know if I can make it this year for hatch peppers. It will be next month.

I owned a house in Cloud Croft New Mexico for a long time. I just sold it. Covid messed us up and we were not using it. So, I sold it last fall.

Me too. I don't know if I can make it this year for hatch peppers. It will be next month.

I owned a house in Cloud Croft New Mexico for a long time. I just sold it. Covid messed us up and we were not using it. So, I sold it last fall.
i know Cloudcroft well (i hunted elk there). i have land in Ruidoso, and my thoughts of putting a small luxury cabin are fading. no water still. the deep well option is an unpleasant thought

Finally got around to making my first meal in the new wok... beef lo mein. I had to source a large wok ring to raise the bottom of the wok above the flame concentrator. Notched it out to fit the burner, worked really well. Lost a bit of the initial seasoning (to be expected), but re-seasoned decently after the meal was done.

IMG_6875.jpg
IMG_6870.jpg
IMG_6872.jpg
IMG_6876.jpg

Back