Wondering how deep I will run down this rabbit hole

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kijeremiad

Reaction score
I have some entry level henckels that do just fine for me (onions, peppers, cucumbers, boneless meat). I would like to sharpen them - rather than taking them to a sharpener once a year. But then I started looking at other knives. Then other cutting boards, then fancier whetstones. Then I looked at Japanese knives. Then I wondered why not spend the money that I would spend on a Japanese knife on a belt sander and grinder and make my own knife? Don't know how far or if I will go down that path, but have appreciated forums like this.

I have some entry level henckels that do just fine for me (onions, peppers, cucumbers, boneless meat). I would like to sharpen them - rather than taking them to a sharpener once a year. But then I started looking at other knives. Then other cutting boards, then fancier whetstones. Then I looked at Japanese knives. Then I wondered why not spend the money that I would spend on a Japanese knife on a belt sander and grinder and make my own knife? Don't know how far or if I will go down that path, but have appreciated forums like this.
I like your thinking! Welcome to the forum!

Don't worry it's not that deep. Just take the leap. It's perfectly safe. No one has ever gotten lost in there. Or was it that no ones survived out of there to tell the story? Not sure?

Klaxon sounds, Capt Brain orders to dive, dive deep, Wallet looks foolishly for life preserver. Welcome.

Welcom aboard, kijeremiad!

Don't worry it's not that deep. Just take the leap. It's perfectly safe. No one has ever gotten lost in there. Or was it that no ones survived out of there to tell the story? Not sure?

Buttercup: "We'll never survive!"
Westley: "Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has."

Your first mistake was joining this forum. Welcome, and also, my condolences.

I'm still looking for the bottom. When I get there I'll wait for you.
Or you'll just bounce off and forget you were there... I'm pretty sure I hit it already and just blocked it out.

Word of financial advice, buy the best possible knife you can afford. You will save yourself about 500 bucks incrementally stepping up over six months to a year.

Welcome! I would start with a Japanese style (not necessarily from Japan) 210-240mm chef knife and a 120-150mm petty. Figure out what you like. There are many, many threads if you search this forum to help you out. Just about any recommended knife will be an eye opening experience vs your Henckels. Post a what knife to buy thread to offer specific wants, and importantly your budget. Board(s) come next, then sharpening yourself.

And I would stay away from what you would find at big box stores.

Start looking at the eyecandies on the newest knife buy thread. That will start to adjust your thinking about kitchen knives.

I expect there will be a crowd to talk with.

That statement assumes a bottom exist. I think it is possible it is a neverending hole. Maybe it is circular? Or made of Möbius strips creating a paradoxal one dimensional rabbithole of temptation to another dimension.

That statement assumes a bottom exist. I think it is possible it is a neverending hole. Maybe it is circular? Or made of Möbius strips creating a paradoxal one dimensional rabbithole of temptation to another dimension.
🤫

Latest posts

Back