Wood handle, dishwasher damage

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidPF

Likes Boring Knives
Reaction score
Long ago I bought a secondhand slicing knife for a few dollars. The blade is OK but the plain wood handle isn't, obviously because someone put it through a dishwasher. The wood swelled badly, cracked in places, and has pulled away some distance from the tang.

Do I try to save the wood?

The only reason I didn't reach that conclusion immediately is that the rivets/pins are holding fine.

20210212-144010-1.jpg

20210212-143842-1.jpg

20210212-143622-1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't own a dishwasher so I'm OK for regular wood too :)

But if someone else ends up with the knife - and they probably will - then the better stuff is probably the right way

Yeah, that wood's shot. New wood will be easiest. Nice new wood and some care will be nicer too.

If you wanted to patch it up, you could probably fill the cracks and gaps with epoxy and seal it up. But good epoxy is more expensive than wood and the process would probably be a huge mess and more work start to finish.

As far as materials, knife "making" projects seem popular and there are kits & parts available from most wood working stores with a blade & handle materials right now. I assume Vancouver Canada, so you have an actual Lee Valley store. If you need guidance, I'd drop in there. They'll be able to offer tips and they have parts on their website they can get even if they don't stock them there.

Lee Valley store isn't too far from me, you're exactly right.

Now I just decide if the knife will be worth it in the end.

Rumor is just visiting the store is free, so you can do some recon and then decide. (Given how much each visit to their website costs me and other rumors that their stores are even better... I don't actually believe a visit will be free. :) )

Rumor is just visiting the store is free, so you can do some recon and then decide. (Given how much each visit to their website costs me and other rumors that their stores are even better... I don't actually believe a visit will be free. :) )
I'll be like Odysseus or whoever it was, chaining himself to the mainmast as his only defence against the Sirens. Or something like that.

But first I'll need a mainmast... Maybe Lee Valley can help... ;)

If you decide to keep as is - Soak in mineral oil overnight then clamp and let it dry for a few days. Most of the cracks can be filled by sanding with tru-oil or other hardening oil and working the wood/oil slurry into the cracks.

Restoration project:
Lots of water damage. I was able to flatten and reuse part of the handle wood, but added G10 spacers and G10 ferrule to add thickness and strength.

20200606_171411.jpg

20200609_144955b.jpg

20200612_151028b.jpg

If the Vancouver location refers to WA, then you should also check out Gilmer Woods in NW Portland.
https://www.gilmerwood.com/
But if you want to plan for the knife going into the dishwasher, using stabilized scales would probably be a good idea.

As others have said - it is going to be possible to save it if you want, and I reckon probably easier than making a whole new handle.

If you are doing restoring, I'd bear this in mind... I think you'll probably need to use epoxy at some point to fill, and it may not hold very well between metal and wood that's been soaked in oil. So you may want to epoxy and clamp it first, and then oil second. There's perhaps a slightly higher chance of cracking the wood this way round, but from your pictures I think it's unlikely.

I've done very similar things, and it's quite easy to get decent enough results. This just used a bit of sandpaper, a bit of oil, and some epoxy:

image_123986672 (1).JPG

image_123986672 (2).JPG

Attachments

• image_123986672 (1).JPG
    image_123986672 (1).JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 3
Back