Wooden Knife Board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I made this magnetic knife board using American Cherry wood. I routed out two channels on the back and put in some neodynium magnets. I then filled with resin. I had to sand back the resin going up to about 20k to get it totally smooth and transparent. I used parrafin oil on the wood and finished with a bit of a beeswax mix. I sanded the wood to about 3k and it it so smooth it feels like plastic but has the warmth of wood. The board was made to fit 270mm knives but will probably even fit some 300mm. It finished up better than I expected.

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

Last edited:
Wow nice! Did you take any pictures when assembling? How many pieces of wood are in there in total?

I wish I took photos as I went. It's my third board, hoping to make more. I bought the magnets at a local magnet store in Northcote, Melbourne. The wood is seriously something else though.

Very nice craftsmanship, Mooza!

How did you join the base to the upright? Screw and glue or dowelled/pinned?

Cheers

J

Two screws and some glue for attaching the base. If I had a drill press I would make some plugs but I don't so I just used wood filler. It's on the bottom so you can't see it.

Those little knives where just charms where I removed the ring part using a dremel. I wanted to add some depth to the resin and it was all I could think of. Funnily enough, I did cut myself on a sharp bit while removing the rings so maybe they could be sharpened up!

Back