Work in Progess

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scimitars are in 52100 and boning are in AEB-L. The handles on all are oversize.

DSC_1346.JPG

An AEB-L set
DSC_1348.JPG

These are for sale
240mm - 52100
185mm - AEB-L
DSC_1349.JPG

240mm gyuto, 225mm gyuto, 180mm gyuto, 75mm parer.

Handles are cocobolo w/horn or paper micarta ferrule. Steels are 52100 and AEB-L. All except the 180mm gyuto are convex ground. 180mm and 225mm are up for sale.

DSC_1352.JPG

DSC_1351.JPG

DSC_1350.JPG

I was on the injured list for close to 5 weeks, finally am able to work again. Here is one of the two projects I am working on. Second is even more fun, but I still have a day or so in it.

This is a Western 215mm ready-made gyuto w/AAA cocobolo handle and mahogony saya. Mahogany saya has only one coat of finish, when it is done, it will be of a worthy compliment to the handle.

I love this cocobolo, some of the best I came across. Have some for sale if anybody is interested here

cocoboloset2.jpg

cocoboloset4.jpg

cocoboloset3.jpg

View attachment 32443

I am getting pretty close to finally undertaking a bread knife project. Same type of a Western handle (coke bottle shape) and a saya. For steel I am thinking A2. Stay tuned.

M

Marko' quadruple play

mizuno re-handle with some striped ebony I've been saving
Parer - this thing is awesome, great in hand feel
Huge board and xl strip with the nicest walnut I have seen

Craftsmanship perfection

Thanks Marko

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1467479716.990063.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1467479828.944411.jpg

Mahogany saya has only one coat of finish, when it is done, it will be of a worthy compliment to the handle.

@ Marco ... What is your recommendation for a finishing product if you're not looking to stain the saya wood a darker color than it is. I have heard just plain mineral oil, I have treated a couple of my finished sayas with Boos oil and board wax and I like that finish. Recommendations?

@ Marco ... What is your recommendation for a finishing product if you're not looking to stain the saya wood a darker color than it is. I have heard just plain mineral oil, I have treated a couple of my finished sayas with Boos oil and board wax and I like that finish. Recommendations?

Stain matching wood is tricky. I tried it, didn't like the results and instead started picking woods that complement well, rather than trying to match them.

I use TruOil with sanding in between coats. 4-5 coats will give you a beautiful natural feel and look.

Stain matching wood is tricky. I tried it, didn't like the results and instead started picking woods that complement well, rather than trying to match them.

I use TruOil with sanding in between coats. 4-5 coats will give you a beautiful natural feel and look.

Thanks. That's what I have heard. Didn't articulate my question properly. Not looking to stain just to bring out the natural color of the wood and provide a protective sealant. TruOil it is then.

I'm eyeballing the honesuki. What are the handle materials?

I'm eyeballing the honesuki. What are the handle materials?

It's buckeye with a hippo tusk spacer (rare exception from me, but hippos are not endangered and I have had this tusk for 5 years, courtesy of Son). Steel is 52100. Length is 140mm. True single bevel. I got to say I liked how the a spacer looks on a darker wood, so I intend to use it more frequently, though not true ivory.

The octagonal handle on the knife has a shallow radius ground in the ferrule, for ease of transition from a handle hold to a pinch grip hold. I have to the conclusion that this might be a not a bad idea - feels good to the hand. The gyuto geometry is akin to Mizuno - workhorse, but quite thin above the edge.

I have been working on butchering knives for some time now. Have a scimitar under my belt, a 140mm boning, now am adding 160mm filleting/boning and 145mm breaking knife to my line. The knives in the picture are in A2, and I am told they will get a proper workout - 4 pigs. Look forward to a feedback on steel performance.

IMG_1167.JPG

Also working on several special knives. These are almost done, just a mark and a final polish and sharpening.

IMG_1166.JPG

I'll put a breaking knife though its paces if you need professional help??

Boning Knife. Deer Season. Can't be a coincidence.

They may see the occasional deer but I've got 4 pigs to butcher first. I'll have to share my impressions on their performance, especially compared to the other boning knives I've got.

Thanks Marko

Marko rehandled Mizuno honyaki, need to get the hamon to show but Marko made this d-shape to perfection

Some very special Rosewood Burl I’ve been saving+Blackwood and mokume guard

IMG_1530639777.112682.jpg
IMG_1530639793.452580.jpg
IMG_1530639802.516128.jpg
IMG_1530639814.872183.jpg
IMG_1530639821.142697.jpg

Back