Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

deskjockey

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
Gyuto ~240mm give or take 30mm

I am right-handed

Prefer a Japanese handle

Gyuto ~240mm give or take 30mm

Prefer other than super reactive. I'm thinking semi-stainless but, carbon with stainless cladding is an option

My target is $250US but, I can save a bit longer and spend some more within reason. $400 is not an option and above $300 is problematic but, possible for the right knife.

KNIFE USE
I am a home user.

I want this knife for hard vegetables. I have a thin wispy laser for normal potatoes, zucchini, etc.

Complementing a laser 240mm Gyuto and kicking a German chef's knife to the curb (don't like the high tip among other things)

I WON'T USE A PINCH GRIP.

Slicing and chopping veg

I don't want to break or otherwise damage my laser Gyuto and the German chef's knife tends to wedge and split without cutting hard veg

Aesthetics are pretty open

I want a rounded spine and choil so I don't hurt my hands if the knife needs some encouragement to cut a Sweet Potatoe or hard Squash

Ease of Use: Doesn't rust easily (rust-resistant) and cuts - doesn't wedge, doesn't chip or roll an edge

Edge Retention needs to be reasonable but, this is a home kitchen so not a huge issue as long as hard veg doesn't kill the edge

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
I'm almost a 100% synthetic cutting board but, I do use my Boos occasionally

I sharpen my own knives on Shapton stones

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I want edge durability and some weight without getting into a clubby Gyuto

This will mostly be a dedicated hard vegetable knife complementing a light laser Gyuto.

esoo

living the patina
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking out of the box - CCK 1912 - Stainless slicing cleaver.

Jovidah

Reaction score
For hard vegetables I always found thinner to work better. Yoshi comes to mind? Basically laser with a fatter spine. Not a workhorse though.