Media Working Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This weeks choices.
IMAG0410.jpg

Nice!

Looks like you will need a new fillet knife soon though.

Nice!

Looks like you will need a new fillet knife soon though.

That's my pismo and veal rack shank. :thumbsup:

How do you like that Bark River carving knife?

Used it a couple of times...still got the factory edge. Bad geometry...too thick. Gonna switch it back out for the Forschner.

Thought I'd do my bit to keep this thread interesting. A quick picture of my current rotation shoved untidily into my roll

Mac rod, Global parer, Inazuma petty I never use, FH Gyuto, JCK KV8 in saya, peeler, Victorinox boning knife, Sakai Ichimonji Kichikuni kama usuba, Sakai Yusuke 210 petty

My current one is....really different.

Last edited:
Not raising the bar but like the thread and want to see more of what others are packing.

Mario, Tojiro, Misono, Forgecraft, Konosukes

More Posts Please :hungry:

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

Oh boy here we go. Sorry for the crummy images. Lighting was terrible.

2013-02-07%252023.45.15.jpg

Page One!
Some eBay special 190mm mioroshi deba
270mm Masamoto Yanagi
270mm Marko Suji
90mm Thérias et l'Econome Parer
210mm Heiji Suji/Petty Semi Stainless
Porsche loaner
some nice wood sayas

2013-02-07%252023.47.39.jpg

Page Two!
250mm Marko Gyuto
270mm Tojiro Bread
270mm Yosihide Sujihiki
150mm DT Petty
Some fish spats
Some crummy cardboard+tape sayas

2013-02-07%252023.49.35.jpg

Page Three!
Rosle Tongs
Microplane
Thermapen
Drugs
Peelers
Mac Ceramic Rod
Oyster Knife
Flitz
Kunz Spoons + some others
Red Sharpies & Pens

But wait, there's more!
2013-02-07%252023.54.18.jpg

I usually have at least one of these in my bag as well. Sometimes it rotates, sometimes they stay in for weeks and months. Sometimes I have one in my bag and then I bring a separate additional case (like the kinda you get w/ a Kramer, Martell, Rader, Gesshin Kagero/JKI, etc) that can hold a couple more if needed.

210mm Gengetsu Gyuto semi stainless
270mm DT ITK Gyuto AEB-L
270mm Aritsugu A-Type
270mm Shigefusa Gyuto
210mm Gesshin Uraku Kamagata Usuba

I like to be prepared alright? And I don't like repacking my bag each day for whatever I have to prep that day. Grab n go.

And you also don't like to sell any knives apparently:D

I don't. But I am going to. Because there are a bunch that I have that haven't been in the rotation in some time. Not that they aren't great, just not my cup of tea or whatever. So why not let someone else enjoy them and let them be used? Also, I have some more on the way, so I would like to trim down so basically everything is in the regular rotation.

This is a pretty timely thread to stumble upon, as I just packed up my sprawling kit from the restaurant tonight. Thought it was getting a little flabby. Although I did just use that prosciutto deboning tool yesterday, that's only seen use twice in three years come to think of it (for those who've never deboned a prosciutto- it's much more difficult than you might think). I'll have to post some pics of that sucker.

I don't. But I am going to. Because there are a bunch that I have that haven't been in the rotation in some time. Not that they aren't great, just not my cup of tea or whatever. So why not let someone else enjoy them and let them be used? Also, I have some more on the way, so I would like to trim down so basically everything is in the regular rotation.

Makes sense. I frequently realize that I'm not giving such and such knife it's due, then I'll use it for awhile, and neglect some others, and start the whole cycle over again... It's easy to get attached to stuff, but hard to let go of it sometimes...

I'm a little jealous that you have two Marko's in your kit though, TBO.

John, you are missing a kick a Rader slicer from your kit, where did it go?

JC,

That yoshide handle looks ridiculously small, how does it feel?

Btw- is that a Marko handle on the Shig John?

Of course.

John, you are missing a kick a Rader slicer from your kit, where did it go?

I have it, it just isn't in my kit that much. This isn't all of my stuff, just the things I bring to work the most.

JC,

That yoshide handle looks ridiculously small, how does it feel?

It is on the small side for a western. In fact when I first opened the box I was a little shocked at how small it was. But it is shaped so well and so comfortable that it is actually awesome. It could be a touch bigger, but since getting used to it I don't have any problems with it at all.

It's like a trip down memory lane, I own hardly any of the knives in my old posts here. I'll take a few pictures of my current gear tomorrow

It's time to bring this thread back

So I got myself a new case today and here it is. It seems to be a really nice case, just about hold all my knives. The Tilman gyuto is 270 on the edge so I'd reckon it would just about hold a wa-300

IMAG0673.jpg

270 Tilman gyuto, 210 Tilman suji, 270 Kono HD, Victorinox boner, 210 Sakai Yusuke White #2 suji, 240 Hattori FH, peelers, Mac rod and my trusty parers
IMAG0677.jpg

IMAG0682.jpg

IMAG0688.jpg

Strops and sweatband. Napkin has honing compound in it
IMAG0693.jpg

Ikea one is a little small though the handle is very nice. Only cost £11 so can't complain

I have that whole set, with the VG10 chefs, and I love them. The profile on the paring is nice, I use them as loaners around the kitchen, and am surprised how well they sharpen and hold it, even after the dish guys bash them around when making their lunch. Was a gift, and after a while using them, came to enjoy them a lot.

Latest posts

Back