Working on my first non shun Knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaBishop

Reaction score
so I've got a few knives up for sale on Ebay(only at 15 posts so I got a ways to go before I can sell here and I don't think there's a real good market for Shun's and Kamikoto's here anyway...the latter were well intentioned gifts and I have to admit I don't hate them) and hoping to make back about 5-700 bucks from my first bundle, and maybe a couple hundred more as it goes. I think I've decided on a couple of Munetoshi's...the Butcher and the Gyuto for about $350 total. They'll be used both at home and in a restaurant. Just wondering if any of you had any feedback either in the positive or negative. Also, any ideas if I'm going to have to pay custom taxes on them shipped from Denmark? thanks in advance

I really like the Munetoshi’s, though I have the 165 petty and santoku. Sometimes I think I could have just gotten a Munetoshi gyuto and be done with it. The Munetoshi gyutos are now on sale over at JNS, though I don’t think for long. I may get the butcher at some point too.

The butcher knife is awesome, I replaced other boning knives in favor of this. For the rest, I believe they are all carbon and reactive, so it depends on what you want.

As for shipping and taxes, don't worry about it in the US. We are not subject to VAT in the EU or AUS countries and as long as you meet minimum $ spent for free shipping you are all good.

Couple of great knives, one of the best gyuto around for the price and a very useful butcher knife. And the petty comes in handy too, and I’m going to pick up a slicer when they’re back in stock.

So, I'm new to this... what are the concerns that come from this? Rust?
Yes, rust potentially, plus the blade will patina (discolour) over time. The Munetoshi seems pretty fool proof so far, I’ve much more reactive steels. Just wash and dry your knife immediately after using it and you’ll be fine as far as carbon goes.

All you gotta do is keep it clean and dry, mainly when you would otherwise put the knife down give it a wipe/rinse first, and make sure it’s good and dry after washing it. For longer term storage between uses oil might help

uch...I waited too long and the damn Gyuto's sold out. any recommendations for a similar work horse all around knife in the same price range?

Last edited:
Back