worst stones you ever tried?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird to see the Shapton 5K and Aizu getting some hate on here. I had assumed they were good. I’ve never had either one so I don’t have a say.

I am not surprised to see the shapton pro 5K. That stone has sucked for years. I remember getting hate for not liking it almost 10 years ago.

For Aizu, I think the variability is part of it, but also many different people here have different dislikes and likes. I would be hard pressed to find anything that doesn’t have at least a handful of members who hate highly regarded Knives/Stones.

I have a Kai Combination stone 400/1000 that is straight from knife hell.

The 400 side is extremely hard and will get polished and shiny when trying to sharpen knives on it. I have been using this to flatten all my stones for the last 8 years, it hasn't lost much height at all. Something must be wrong with it lol, it is just super super hard.
The 1000 side is the other extreme - so soft that it will get dished with just a few minutes of sharpening, one has to be very careful not to cut into it with a knife because it is so soft.
I don't think the stone should be THAT bad. A big company like Kai should now what they're doing. I assume it is some kind of factory defect, but it is just a spiteful stone.

Isn’t the King 300 a splash n go? The Deluxe
Technically yes, but on the advice of some KKF members I dropped it in the tank. It's been soaking for about 6 months with no deleterious results. I like it a lot more now. It's a little softer and releases grit much more readily and is impervious to glazing, which is great for initial polishing work, and that's what I mostly use it for. If I was using it for edges, I'd probably prefer it in it's splash and go state.

Re: 800 grit stones. I've used examples from JKI (jinzo), JNS and the King. IME all were good for setting up initial kasumi finish - prob by design. None were worth spit when trying to sharpen. The only 800 that's a sharpening stone is the Shapton Pro 1000. It will raise a burr on anything.

I don't think the stone should be THAT bad. A big company like Kai should now what they're doing. I assume it is some kind of factory defect, but it is just a spiteful stone.

Never underestimate the suckiness of a rebranded stone from a knife company.

The 400 side is extremely hard and will get polished and shiny when trying to sharpen knives on it. I have been using this to flatten all my stones for the last 8 years, it hasn't lost much height at all. Something must be wrong with it lol, it is just super super hard.
The 1000 side is the other extreme - so soft that it will get dished with just a few minutes of sharpening, one has to be very careful not to cut into it with a knife because it is so soft.

I mean... Apple is a pretty big company, and they finally upgraded their webcams away from 720P in 2022...

My first stone was a Kai 400/1000, light blue on one side and darker blue on the other. Piece of junk soft Chinese stone that Kai rebrands and marks up. Seriously, you’d think a Japanese company would at least rebrand and mark up a Japanese stone. I ended up giving it away after buying a King 800/6000.

Re: 800 grit stones. I've used examples from JKI (jinzo), JNS and the King. IME all were good for setting up initial kasumi finish - prob by design. None were worth spit when trying to sharpen. The only 800 that's a sharpening stone is the Shapton Pro 1000. It will raise a burr on anything.

Never underestimate the suckiness of a rebranded stone from a knife company.
Idk I will always have a place in my heart for the old chosera 800.

Idk I will always have a place in my heart for the old chosera 800.

For me it didn’t get much love in here but my second ever stone was a King 800/6000. I much enjoyed the 800 and still have high opinion of it.

This thread is interesting for the fact that people can come to two very different opinions about the same unchanging object.

For me it didn’t get much love in here but my second ever stone was a King 800/6000. I much enjoyed the 800 and still have high opinion of it.

This thread is interesting for the fact that people can come to two very different opinions about the same unchanging object.
I have noticed some combination stones seem to use a different formula for one grit than they for the single stone. I can't confirm that, and it's completely anecdotal, but it seems to me to be the case.

Idk if that's how it is for the king 800, but idk.

I honestly have liked pretty much all the king stones I have had. They're muddy, and dish, and the fine stones load, but I've had stones that do those things much worse than all the kings I've owned. Like the cerax 1000 I had. I personally liked my king 1000, and 1200 (also the king soft hyper 1000 but that's a different story) they seem to dish slower, and do the jobs I need them for well.

This is really not something that can be proven to be true or untrue. Stones that are not ideal for one type of grinding can excel at others. I've seen a few people here mention not liking the Cerax/Debado SNE 320 for being too muddy. I would see this as being ideal for blending in a blended convex edge bevel on a western knife with a thick and stout edge. I actually ordered the SNE last night for this reason because I sometimes do this sort of work for customers.

I will admit.

If the cerax was a bit coarser. That level of friability. Would be almost ideal for thinning high carbide volume steels.

Bestor/Beston 500 and 1000. Didn’t remove metal no matter how hard you tried. Gave them away, total garbage.

Some random white binsu natural stone that was suppose to be around 800 grit-ish. Not only was the performance garbage, but the stone randomly cracked in half.

Back