• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Would anyone consider selling their Kramer?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres an 8 inch kramer on homebutcher available for 13,500.

It seems like anyone that posts here would use the hell out of the knife, regardless of the purchase price. At least it can be used for years/generations, can you imagine spending tens of thousands on wine from a few hundred years ago?

It seems like anyone that posts here would use the hell out of the knife, regardless of the purchase price. At least it can be used for years/generations, can you imagine spending tens of thousands on wine from a few hundred years ago?

I think you mean vinegar :D... and no in that case.

I would assume so....it seems like it would be outside of the optimum drinking age. I always chuckle when I see an article pop up about it every now and then.

Yeah.. some people.... like I am all for cellaring wine. Heck I try and keep my stocks such that even my cheap everyday drinking stuff has 12 to 24 months on it before drinking...

But *** is the point of buying old "wine" that is undrinkable... That is at least why I understand Burke's, Rader's, Tansu, Scorpion Forge, HHH and Kramer etc. You can use and enjoy them always... even if supply and demand has given them high prices

Since we're already bumping an old thread, can someone explain to me what the appeal of these are? I mean, the shape of them just looks funky to me, and not in a good way.

Please do a search. It gets tiresome rehashing the debates about Kramer knives. The shape makes or breaks them for many people, but Mr. Kramer has specific reasons for shaping them the way he does. And if you lucky enough to get your name drawn for a custom order, he will make you a different profile is you have specifics.

While it isn't a traditional gyuto profile i really mine the look of it. I have a cheap scanpan with a similar profile and really love it for some tasks and it is on my cards to have a custom made based on it... just have to decide who since a kramer is well and truly out of my budget. Even if I was lucky enough to get drawn in the lottery

No idea. It says it will ship everywhere but I'm in Australia and can't bid. But don't worry, it's way out of my price range and the reserve still isn't met.

I don't know about that....auction market said it wasn't worth more than $4500....
Seems like if you are going to pony up for a Kramer you would want his Damascus and
Not a plain carbon...

I don't know about that....auction market said it wasn't worth more than $4500....
Seems like if you are going to pony up for a Kramer you would want his Damascus and
Not a plain carbon...

For me I would pay that much for a more recent Kramer. I haven't used any of his knives circa 1998. I know that I really like the geometry of ~2012- Kramers, don't know anything about earlier. That makes paying $5K for what's essentially unknown in terms of performance tough.

Unless one is a collector it seems nuts to pay that much for an early 52100 kramer (and I'm not sure it's such a great thing for a collector but that is another question), performance wise one can buy customs from Burke, Devin Thomas or pretty much any of the great masters for <1/2 the price...)

Let's be real, you don't buy one and then beat on it all day in the kitchen. Those days ended a few years ago when the open market selling prices shot through the roof. There is no honor in saying "Yeah, I paid $27k for this Kramer on eBay, and I am going to use it daily in a pro kitchen, and in 10 years it will be sharpened down to a a suji profile". Well, maybe if you are a multi-millionaire trying to outdo your fiends at the private club that is a cool thing to say...

I think you can easily argue that the $ a Burke or damascus DT command are also beyond what makes sense for a knife that will see use for 2+ hours/ day 6 days a week.

Lots of people with $$$ buy Ferraris, etc. that ideally should be used almost daily at the track, but instead just see occasion use on the street, and maybe hit the track once or due in their lifespan. That doesn't make much sense either, but it is the way things are. The more expensive the item is, the less chance it will be used n the way it was originally intended to be used if that use results in a lot of wear and tear.

Burke, DT and Kramer gyutos each have their pluses and minuses when compared to each other. None of them trump the others in all categories. But of the three, Kramer's unique design features are based on his actual time spend working in kitchens. So the polarizing features are ones that he put there for his own specific reasons derived from his time working with many other kitchen knives in a pro environment.

If one stays away from Damascus, I can see someone argue that a DT, Burke, and especially Tansu aren't completely and totally crazy.

But this is right on:

"I think you can easily argue that the $ a Burke or damascus DT command are also beyond what makes sense for a knife that will see use for 2+ hours/ day 6 days a week."

One question I have always had: if one picks out a near perfect Zwilling Kramer in 52100 and then sends it to one of the great sharpeners for the best spa treatment possible, how close to a "real" kramer in performance does one get?

I believe some have made comparisons, and the consensus was the heat treatment wasn't quite as good, leading to the z-Ks losing the edge quicker. I cannot say how the profiles matched after any work done by the z-K owners (or the sharpeners they had work on their knives) though.

Not a plain carbon...

There are auction limitations in determining true market value. Its likely that 99% of the knife/culinary/collectible knowing world was unaware that a Kramer was available. You would had to have somehow become aware of the auction or stumbled upon on it during the few days that the listing was active. An auction update also said that due to a shipping prohibition, international bids were not being accepted. $4500 sight unseen only by US bidders during a small auction window is pretty impressive. Maybe the seller could have used Sotheby's or something to expand his market.

Unless one is a collector it seems nuts to pay that much for an early 52100 kramer (and I'm not sure it's such a great thing for a collector but that is another question), performance wise one can buy customs from Burke, Devin Thomas or pretty much any of the great masters for <1/2 the price...)

You know what they say about opinions....

I could argue Yurosaki blades out performs all the makers you listed above for 1/5 the price. Is that wrong or does it go against your opinion?

To each is own and for whatever reason they choose a Kramer, Burke or whatever. The value is in the eye of the beholder.

Back