Would you buy a Gengetsu 225mm semistainless gyuto if they were made available?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy a Gengetsu 225mm semistainless gyuto if they were made available?

• Yes

Votes: 49 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters
I would have got the 240 long time ago had it been a little taller. Given how quickly 240 ones sell out, I would be very surprised if 225 ones would last more than a few days.
i think quite a bit depends on what else is available. If given a choice between a 210, 225, and 240, most people tend to go with 210mm or 240mm. If the others are out of stock, well, then its a different question.

Hey @JBroida, up to 21 yesses! How many do we need to make this a go? Any ideas on price and timing?
to give you an idea on pricing, the 210mm white #2 version will likely be around the $370 range (plus or minus a bit depending on a variety of factors) and the 240mm white #2 version will likely be around the $450 mark, when accounting for the new pricing provided from the maker. I would expect something like this to take somewhere in the 9-12 month range from ordering to completion, but covid may have an effect on that considering how things are going in japan right now.

i think quite a bit depends on what else is available. If given a choice between a 210, 225, and 240, most people tend to go with 210mm or 240mm. If the others are out of stock, well, then its a different question.

That's what I was wondering. Would the production of a new 225mm line affect the supply of the existing 210mm and 240mm Gengetsu? The supply of Gengetsu seems pretty constrained already.

but covid may have an effect on that considering how things are going in japan right now.

I just want to say Jon is a patron saint of JP knives for us folk in the western world.

@JBroida even with all the connections and being a superpro with incredible relationships with smiths, I don't know how you do such a damned good job.

😵

Last edited:
That's what I was wondering. Would the production of a new 225mm line affect the supply of the existing 210mm and 240mm Gengetsu? The supply of Gengetsu seems pretty constrained already.
the timeframe is already so long, the changes are rather insignificant as a whole

I’ll buy someone’s 240 so they can get a 225 😂

KKF community appreciation post.

I bought someone’s 240 but you guys should still get a 225.

22546E29-F53D-4C2E-969A-70A15C95E749.jpeg

In that case is there any chance of bringing back the 180mm Gengetsu petty at all?

Don't get me started about this particular blade ... I have tried to talk myself into buying 50 for myself (LOL) ... just because ... Having said that Mr Broida was very kind enough (after much prodding, poking and probably a little stalking) to "find me" a 150 mm a few years ago (which I love BTW) ... LOL

same issues... need to meet a minimum, but its a less in-demand product

@nakiriknaifuwaifu We need your rabble-rousing skills!

@RockyBasel please considering getting some 225mm and 180mm Gengetsu for your wonderful employees and clients! The holiday season is rapidly approaching!

Make this happen people!

I would get in on the 225 train. I have 2 Gengetsu, and would happily grab a 3rd

But changing the character of the knife is a bit like asking for a new flavor of ice cream, and then asking if they can make it non-freezing as well. You'd just end up dissapointing the people who want it for what it is.

I might be interested once JKI opens its European sattellite store. When?! ;)

But changing the character of the knife is a bit like asking for a new flavor of ice cream, and then asking if they can make it non-freezing as well. You'd just end up dissapointing the people who want it for what it is.

I might be interested once JKI opens its European sattellite store. When?! ;)
The profile is essential to the character of the knife though.
The machi part was said for joking as I know it's not gonna happen, but I am serious about the "less flatness" ask. I understand profile is essential but these are hand made knives and every batch could be a little different. I'm not asking for dramatic change like on the Mazakis but just a little less flatness. Wakui for example has 2 types of profiles: 1 with dead flatness and 1 without. Gengetsu itself if I read the forum correctly had 2 versions, pre and post 2015/2016, in the past, with a little difference in the profile as well.

Nonetheless, I would be happy if I can get a 225 mm Gengetsu as is.

The machi part was said for joking as I know it's not gonna happen, but I am serious about the "less flatness" ask. I understand profile is essential but these are hand made knives and every batch could be a little different. I'm not asking for dramatic change like on the Mazakis but just a little less flatness. Wakui for example has 2 types of profiles: 1 with dead flatness and 1 without. Gengetsu itself if I read the forum correctly had 2 versions, pre and post 2015/2016, in the past, with a little difference in the profile as well.

Nonetheless, I would be happy if I can get a 225 mm Gengetsu as is.

I guess wakui is a good comparison in this regard because it is another sanjo knife with similar characteristics. I must confess I have never owned a wakui, though I have owned gengetsu, yoshi amekiri, kashima sanjo, itinomon StainLess, and kono YS. I do think that the flatness of the profile is one of the signature aspects of the sanjo mid-weights, along with distal taper. Those two features are what draw me to the sanjo blades to begin with, honestly. But perhaps it would be fun to see what the gengetsu maker can come up with.

I guess wakui is a good comparison in this regard because it is another sanjo knife with similar characteristics. I must confess I have never owned a wakui, though I have owned gengetsu, yoshi amekiri, kashima sanjo, itinomon StainLess, and kono YS. I do think that the flatness of the profile is one of the signature aspects of the sanjo mid-weights, along with distal taper. Those two features are what draw me to the sanjo blades to begin with, honestly. But perhaps it would be fun to see what the gengetsu maker can come up with.
Yea I like flatter profile as well. Just hope the rear part is not dead flat. Toyama also has very flat profile and about 40% of the edge looks quite flat visually, but if you put it on the cutting board there is some subtle curvature there. It is said that the old Bernal Wakui doesn't have any dead flat area but I've never handled that one. My Wakui and Shig both have about 1/3 dead flat area. My Yoshi has about 35-40% dead flat area. It's not a deal breaker for me since I mostly use the front part for cutting, but I saw many have complained about too much dead flatness. Maybe another group of people will start to complain if Yoshi changes to visually flat but with subtle curvature profile. Maybe not.

Yea I like flatter profile as well. Just hope the rear part is not dead flat. Toyama also has very flat profile and about 40% of the edge looks quite flat visually, but if you put it on the cutting board there is some subtle curvature there. It is said that the old Bernal Wakui doesn't have any dead flat area but I've never handled that one. My Wakui and Shig both have about 1/3 dead flat area. My Yoshi has about 35-40% dead flat area. It's not a deal breaker for me since I mostly use the front part for cutting, but I saw many have complained about too much dead flatness. Maybe another group of people will start to complain if Yoshi changes to visually flat but with subtle curvature profile. Maybe not.
Ya, I have a Bernal Wakui and that is true of mine, also has the thinnest grind I have seen on a Wakui.

Back