WP's knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefwp

no electrons were harmed creating this KKF content
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Magnolia handles were never my first choice, but I still managed to get three. Recently, after much deliberating, I finally threw caution to the wind, wrapped the ferrules in protective foil, and fired up the torch. Ironically, the first one on the gyuto turned out the best, and the one I did last, on the suji was a little too crispy. I sanded them all down a bit afterwords and treated them to a mix of mineral oil and beeswax. I may sand the suji's down a little more soon so I can see a bit of the grain. Overall I'm happy and I would no longer aviod a knife that fits in my family because of a mag handle.

burnt-handles.jpg

The breadknife is kind of an odd bird, it is of Forge to Table, VG10 core with a softer kurouchi cladding, clearly just to make it sexier looking. 🐧

How do you like it? How does it compare to the Tojiro/Mac bread knife?

How do you like it? How does it compare to the Tojiro/Mac bread knife?
I have the ubiquitous $20 Tojiro and can compare them directly. The Tojiro cuts a lot more smoothly and the F2T feels like it is tearing just a tiny bit more. However, the F2T feels really good in the hand to cut with, much more natural and like other knives we are familiar with, so I end up cutting straighter. I'd call it a draw. I really dig the way it looks with the wa handle, as superficial as it is...

Magnolia handles were never my first choice, but I still managed to get three. Recently, after much deliberating, I finally threw caution to the wind, wrapped the ferrules in protective foil, and fired up the torch. Ironically, the first one on the gyuto turned out the best, and the one I did last, on the suji was a little too crispy. I sanded them all down a bit afterwords and treated them to a mix of mineral oil and beeswax. I may sand the suji's down a little more soon so I can see a bit of the grain. Overall I'm happy and I would no longer aviod a knife that fits in my family because of a mag handle.

View attachment 117081

I too have fired a few magnolia handles and a couple poplar sayas. I think it looks great.

I have the ubiquitous $20 Tojiro and can compare them directly. The Tojiro cuts a lot more smoothly and the F2T feels like it is tearing just a tiny bit more. However, the F2T feels really good in the hand to cut with, much more natural and like other knives we are familiar with, so I end up cutting straighter. I'd call it a draw. I really dig the way it looks with the wa handle, as superficial as it is...

What about the $60 Tojiro, Mac knockoff?

Back