• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB WTB #120 Fast cutting whetstone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kotte

Reaction score
Dear members, I’m going to do some serious reprofiling on old and damaged knives soon and I thought that a fast cutting #120 might come in handy. I had thought about buying a Shapton Pro 120 (and maybe I will eventually) but before doing so I thought I should try and see whether anyone here has a nice #120 to offer me. I am based in the EU but if some of you US based members have something interesting to offer I have an arrangement that will save potential sellers from the hassle of international shipping.
All best
Carl

Have you considered the Atoma 140 grit diamond plate? That thing takes off metal like you wouldn't believe.

I have! But I had the impression that bringing knives to an atoma is pretty unpleasant; and I kind of wish to make this experience as enjoyable as possible [emoji16] Thanks!

I bought the K&S sandpaper holder to do this with. (But so far have managed to avoid the task.) For gross reprofile, thinning, it gets high marks.

I bought the K&S sandpaper holder to do this with. (But so far have managed to avoid the task.) For gross reprofile, thinning, it gets high marks.

Thanks, maybe that’s the way to go! And, I can see why you’ve avoided the task. Still, some part of me looks forward to the whole thing.

@Carl Kotte I have a #100 grit Suehiro and I can honestly say the atoma #140 feels as smooth as a finishing stone in comparison! In that grit range nothing is pleasant though, so opt for speed so you don't have to stay for too long :p

@Carl Kotte I have a #100 grit Suehiro and I can honestly say the atoma #140 feels as smooth as a finishing stone in comparison! In that grit range nothing is pleasant though, so opt for speed so you don't have to stay for too long :p

Haha [emoji16], I get the point! Speed is king! I will consider it. Thanks

Or use something like this. I use this to thin out my bone chopper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125mm-5-Ho...apter-Sandpaper-Polishing-1-Pcs-/173707485778
ja9CdudE7nMQxPmC9

If you are working a bevel, working up kasumi, the soft cladding will rip diamonds from the Atoma and end up gouging your work.

Latest posts

Back