• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: (Don't Roll Your Eyes) Hattori KD

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And personally, i think the KD's are plain ugly. There, i said it.

And personally, i think the KD's are plain ugly. There, i said it.

LOL. Way to speak your mind.

But with that said, I have to agree partly in that even though I do like the KD damascus I liked it a lot more 3-4 years ago. And these days my favorite look is a well-patina'ed carbon :)

k.

..a lot of them have become drawer queens, and frankly few people talk about actually using them any more.

Reminds me about the discussion about cramers. What do you want, a superhot girlfriend you can show around but never heck or would you have a superhot GF that whips your ass in the bedrom? I know for sure what I prefer :)

... hot GF that whips your ass in the bedrom? I know for sure what I prefer :)

Sounds they must have made these smilies just for Oivind: :fishslap::spankarse:
So do you prefer the fish-club or branch? OH wait, I bet I know: custom stainless damascus paddle w/exotic wood handle!

Btw, I did write Koki about the Hattori KDs. That guy is awesome. I just wanted to double check the idea that these are no longer being produced.

Here is what Koki sent:

"Mr. Hattori is over 70 years old now. There is possibility his health condition might affect a lot for the delivery situation of KD kitchen knives. in future. Recently his health condition is not so good as before. In year 2010 & 2011, we regret Hattori could not produce any of KD kitchen knives. Making KD Kitchen knives requires so much additional process and requires large energy.

But Mr. Hattori himself is still working hard from early morning on every business day. (But sometimes he has to go to see doctor).

Recently Mr. Hattori is spending more time for teaching his technique and skills to young craftsmen.

We really wish his good health and good life, and hope he can produce more beautiful masterpieces in the future. (But so far, Hattori KD kitchen knives cannot be available easily in this year too.)"

k.

Btw, I did write Koki about the Hattori KDs. That guy is awesome. I just wanted to double check the idea that these are no longer being produced.

Here is what Koki sent:

"Mr. Hattori is over 70 years old now. There is possibility his health condition might affect a lot for the delivery situation of KD kitchen knives. in future. Recently his health condition is not so good as before. In year 2010 & 2011, we regret Hattori could not produce any of KD kitchen knives. Making KD Kitchen knives requires so much additional process and requires large energy.

But Mr. Hattori himself is still working hard from early morning on every business day. (But sometimes he has to go to see doctor).

Recently Mr. Hattori is spending more time for teaching his technique and skills to young craftsmen.

We really wish his good health and good life, and hope he can produce more beautiful masterpieces in the future. (But so far, Hattori KD kitchen knives cannot be available easily in this year too.)"

k.

Yep I am on the list myself. He sends that out as a form letter to all of us knife knuts.

Yeah, there was another thread on KKF around the time I posted this and I subsequently wrote him. He was asking too much. I think it is interesting that they still are available but call me crazy, I actually think KDs are going to come DOWN in price. The guy selling them clearly overpriced them IMO. Let's face it between custom makers, Jon at JKI and re-sales, we have a dozen of options per month that are better values. After giving up on the KDs, I bought a custom instead, and I am positive that I will never regret it.

k.

Honestly, I don't think I will ever get a Japanese made knife. I have made a decision to buy only custom knives from makers on this board (and I have 7 on order atm) for two reasons. First, I believe it is important to support the artists (I was going to say craftsmen, but really, after seeing some of the examples of their work, artists fits much better) who are so willing to donate their time and knowledge to helping novices like me, and second, I can see no way that the knives produced in Japan will be measurably superior to those made here. So, if the grass really isn't any greener, why go anywhere else. (Requisite disclaimer: this is :my2cents:)

I have made a decision to buy only custom knives from makers on this board...it is important to support the artists...

I fully agree. I have 10 knives from board makers and 4 on order -- but with Jon peddling his crack cocaine blades, I will never say never ;)

k.

I fully agree. I have 10 knives from board makers and 4 on order -- but with Jon peddling his crack cocaine blades, I will never say never ;)

k.

I have to admit, the temptation to join the dark side can be strong at times.

Back