• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTT / wts Kaeru 270 honyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I like this one a lot, but I promised myself I’d try lots of new stuff this year and this one drew the short straw from my drawer.

Near perfect profile that is very reminiscent of a KS profile to me. Long continuous curve that, while flat, has no dead spots. Very, very nimble in hand despite the size. Grind is fully convex and has enough meat on the bones at the heel that you don’t mind going through hard veg but is still thin throughout and very thin at the tip. Food release is much better than I anticipated for a knife this thin, the spine is actually thinner than largest point of the blade - you can get an onion to stay all on the board without too much effort. Not going to ghost through massive horse carrots at the heel, but I haven’t had it crack rather than cut anything yet.

I just cleaned off the patina and polished with some uchigumori powder, so the non-patina pics are most current. With etching or light patina there is some crazy banding. I’ll include a picture of what my darker patina looked like. Someone with a good amount of powder or finger stones and some vitamin C for etching could make something really pretty out of this I’m sure. I replaced the stock burnt ho handle with a Taihei zircote that I think works really well with this one.

Length: 275
Height: 50
Weight: 221g (211 with stock ho handle)
Steel: blue 2 mizu-honyaki

Trade / sale value of $820 US for this one. Willing to do trade + cash either way as needed, so take that number with a grain of salt. If you don’t want the zircote handle take $75 off. Happy with international buyers, but let’s chat about shipping first. Can refinish the polish however you'd like if you give me a little time.

Trade interests:
  • Western maker gyuto, nakiri, sujihiki, petty - particularly wrought iron clad (Yanick, Raquin, Catchside, Halcyon Forge, ShiHan, and others come to mind)
  • Jiro nakiri, suji, gyuto
  • high end or interesting single bevels
  • Really anything interesting
  • jnats
Hoping to find something cool out there, but won’t be upset if this stays with me.

*edited to add clarity on trade prospects

Last edited:
6C79A5B5-AC8C-4FD5-8CFA-DC1346575748.jpeg
C9672843-0885-4AC6-AE64-4C016E36AE0D.jpeg
AD113F02-F001-4606-BF5F-F515A698E929.jpeg
6AD01210-8134-454D-AAC2-B3088A20DD65.jpeg
312F28CE-106B-4A1E-B6E6-785C32B5CD70.jpeg

I am going to keep using this at home while I wait and see if anyone else is interested in a trade or to buy, lowering price accordingly. This thing is a lot of fun but really looking to try new makers, steels, etc this year.

Also willing to polish it up to a mirror, finger stone finish, re-etch, etch based on individual preference if anyone wants some additional finishing work done.

I am going to keep using this at home while I wait and see if anyone else is interested in a trade or to buy, lowering price accordingly. This thing is a lot of fun but really looking to try new makers, steels, etc this year.

Also willing to polish it up to a mirror, finger stone finish, re-etch, etch based on individual preference if anyone wants some additional finishing work done.
Looks extremely right hand biased… good luck

Definitely an asymmetric grind. Won’t go so far say it’s extremely biased, but not the best bet for the left handed.
It was meant as a compliment. I’d love one of these but I feel like I’d have to do custom order. Like I’m not going to drop almost a thousand dollars on a knife that performs super well with great release for others, but steers like crazy for me.

Bump. I realize now san mai gyutos are more my thing because I like using jnats and polishing a full convex honyaki gyuto on benchstones isn’t my idea of a good time. Love the profile and grind on this one, but not really interested in keeping it around.

Last edited:
I hear some folks like banding… with some careful etches and nugui I coaxed out the glorious structure (sorry for the garbage photos). Got some customs coming up and would probably prefer to sell this one at the moment.

$670 with the stock burnt ho
$730 with the Tahei zircote and horn ($150 on its own)

For what’s it’s worth (probably very little) the edge on this currently is the best I’ve ever managed to manufacture… also can send with a small baggie of uchi dust for gentle patina removal in the future if anyone is interested in that.

5F65E023-F01C-4FCE-A09A-1BEE3CD19284.jpeg

Last drop, I’ll just keep it if it doesn’t move by the end of the week. It’s a fun knife, I just prefer polishing san-mai and half my knife-derived fun these days is polishing on stones 🤷🏼‍♂️

$630 shipped in original box with new zircote handle installed and stock burnt ho on the side. Will include some of the acid mix I found worked best with this and some uchi powder for ongoing maintenance.

Last edited:
I’ve since bought yet another 270 and have the massdrop on the horizon. I’m into this >$850 + $100 worth of polishing kit I wouldn’t have purchased otherwise…

$595 takes it home with the fancy handle, $530 with stock handle

Gee, I don't understand people. You are are allowing yourself to be robbed blind and still not getting any takers.

Guys, this is a $1000 honyaki smithed by Masashi Yamamoto. Grab a f**ken bargain. I have one - it is an absolute weapon. Nimble for its size. Eeeeasy to sharpen. Holds an edge for ages. It's coming polished AND with freebies of handle upgrade and uchi powder. Why do I hear crickets?

It is indeed painful, but I'm refocusing the kit and this one isn't in the vein I see myself moving forward with so just trying to find it a home where it'll be appreciated as it deserves. BST has really been slow to move things for the last several months - with the exception of the top-tier collectable items.

Latest posts

Back