Wusthof Grand Prix II or ???????????

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Reaction score
We have many inexpensive kitchen knives.
I have eventually managed to persuade my wife to never again use a serrated knife in the kitchen.
My job is to just make sure that the others are always sharp. I enjoy sharpening so not a problem.
She just does not want to have to keep on asking me to sharpen them.
Our best knife is a 6" Wusthof cook's knife whose steel is x50 cr mov 15 when it's sharp my wife loves the weight of it for general kitchen slicing etc.
In an attempt to go one step better would it be worth looking at the inexpensive Ikkaku Donryu Molybdenum Petty 150mm, Ikkaku Donryu Molybdenum Gyuto 180mm or the Fuji Cutlery Narihira Honesuki 150mm?

Thanks and happy thanksgiving to you all.

I vote for ?????????????????

And I did in real life. I ditched my Wusthof Grand Prixs and never looked back. Best kitchen/ cooking-related thing I have ever done.

If you can put together 100ish bucks, pls fill out the knife questionnaire and you will get recommendations that are (mostly) tailored to your requirements. Solid knives in that range include Gesshin Stainless, Suisin Western Inox, Misono Moly.

Thanks Dave. I guess that sort of answers my question.
The Gesshin Stainless, Suisin Western Inox, Misono Moly products are better price/performance than than the Ikkaku Donryu and the Fuji Cutlery mentioned in my OP.

You may want to post a WTB ad on BST with knife preferences - Gyuto/Santoku , easy to maintain and sharpen, plus length/handle style and price range and see what you’re offered.

How about Wusthof Classic? I have a few of them and they seem to work well. Most of my 30 kitchen knives are Henckels 4-star knives. I have about 8 Wusthof Classic knives which work well for me.

I bought a couple of Santoku knives 1 Henckel and 1 Wusthof and I guess they are OK. I like European style knives better. I like a big chef knife, a 7 inch slicing knife for starters. I really like having lots of kitchen knives for the different kitchen tasks. I am not a fan of paring knives even though I have 5. My wife uses them way too much.

Last edited:
I have a Grand Prix II. My only real complaint about it is the bolster. One extra thing to deal with when sharpening.

I sharpen the bolster to match the blade but it takes a long time before you need to really deal with the bolster. For me a home cook I would say about 20 years before I have to start sharpening the bolster. I have a lot of old Henckels 4- & 5-star knives. Some are older than 50 years as they were my mom's knives.

I just took delivery of the Edgepro Apex sharpening kit and used it to really clean up the edge on the Grand Prix II.
I'll see how that works over the next few days and then take a view on a new knife.

Thanks so far for the responses.

Back