• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Xerxes forged custom Gyuto 255mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lars78

Reaction score
The blade of this knife was forged from 80mm thick raw material. The steel was forged down to 12-14mm within one heat with a forging start temperature of 900 degrees. Subsequently the blank was forged at a maximum of 780 degrees. After each heat, the blank was cooled to below 721 degrees. This process produces a very fine-grained matrix and very small and finely divided carbides.

57mm heel high
255mm sharp
3.9mm thick near the Handle
186gr

Steel 1.2419.05

thuja handle with black buffalo horn ferrul, oil vacuum sealed

so dam clean
perfect F&F, rounded/polished spine and heel
user friendly geometry with a killer tip and a little bit of polished kurouchi

no rust ore deeper spots, just light patina
condition 9/10

xerxes01.jpeg

xerxes02.jpeg

xerxes03.jpeg

xerxes04.jpeg

xerxes05.jpeg

xerxes06.jpeg

xerxes07.jpeg

xerxes08.jpeg

xerxes09.jpeg

850 USD. PayPal, priority shipped USA/EU ( EU shippingi a little less )

Last edited:
Would you take trades, from Australia.

what @Kozuka mentioned is very true, on all points.

from what I understand this steel is fairly to very rare? I do know that when etched nicely it tends to show some fun banding. If this were stateside I’d jump on it. Looking at the profile i bet it feels very svelte in hand, unlike a typical robust 250.

It is a special melt that does not exist in the steel key. But it wasn't made specifically for xerxes. The „Lohmann Edelstahl company“ produced the steel and Achim sells it in small quantities. Similar to the TWR, it is much purer in terms of P and S content.

jannis got a large piece of over 20kg, from which he forges his knives. This is very special because the steel is actually only available as a rolled flat material. the strong shaping from a large piece to a blade is what makes it special.

Back