Y Tanaka on K&S

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could un-see this thread. This 210 and the 240 look gorgeous, and the specs are sweet. Especially the heel height and the K&S profile. These are no doubt some serious performing blades by the looks of it.

True 240, unlike the JNS ones, and that heel height 😍
Waiting on someone to review one :)

That looks like a model that is generally reserved for another company in Europe.

I ordered his KU White 240s in normal, tall and kiritsuke. I’ll try to compare them all when I get them.

I was checking out some S Tanaka blades on K&S and came across a couple of Gyutos by Y Tanaka. Quick search here didn’t turn up anything - has anyone had experience with these? They seem to be fairly different (longer, taller, heavier, wider with more aggressive taper) than the ones for JNS.

https://knivesandstones.us/products...0mm-with-k-s-ebony-handle-by-yoshikazu-tanaka

Basically looks to me like the JNS 240 with a ebony handle stuck on. Okay, heel height is a bit shorter but the rest seems to line up.

Basically looks to me like the JNS 240 with a ebony handle stuck on. Okay, heel height is a bit shorter but the rest seems to line up.

the length is different at 224mm, he makes a 225 Gyuto for one shop. I think k&s got a few of those.

I wish I could un-see this thread. This 210 and the 240 look gorgeous, and the specs are sweet. Especially the heel height and the K&S profile. These are no doubt some serious performing blades by the looks of it.
Add it to the list I guess

Yea, if by “the same” you mean Damascus instead of regular iron cladding, Blue 1 instead of White 1 core, 50 mm tall instead of 55 mm, 3.5 mm vs 2.9 mm over the heel, with a different profile, then they are the same.

Edit: Heh heh, joke’s on me. You were talking about the Damascus JNS Tanaka 240, obviously, which I never think about. Yea, those do look kinda similar except for the heel height. Apologies to you, @esoo. 🥰 That’ll teach me to restrain my morning crankiness.

Last edited:
Yea, if by “the same” you mean Damascus instead of regular iron cladding, Blue 1 instead of White 1 core, 50 mm tall instead of 55 mm, 3.5 mm vs 2.9 mm over the heel, with a different profile, then they are the same.
Owie 😂

Different profiles, different sizes, different finish, different handles, did I forget something? 😁

I have a JNS blue dama and I love it. The K&S also appeals to me - I think larger heel height, more weight, etc.

I am nervous about pulling the trigger because I worry I am duplicating the knife

does Anyone else have the JNS blue Damascus Y Tanaka?

I have a JNS blue dama and I love it. The K&S also appeals to me - I think larger heel height, more weight, etc.

I am nervous about pulling the trigger because I worry I am duplicating the knife

does Anyone else have the JNS blue Damascus Y Tanaka?

The ebony handle is adding around 50g to a rather lightweight knife (probably the main reason for the weight difference), so it will feel very different to a similarity sized knife with a ho wood handle. I have still the white#1 240 from JNS, the b#1 is supposed to be similar in profile and grind and has lovely finish IMO.

That white Y Tanaka was a sweet deal at JNS when he put them on sale

sadly, I had already bought the blue 240 Dammy. In error, Maksim sent me the blue 270 Y Tanaka, instead of the 240.

and we did not discover the error of his ways until a few months later - by that time too late to do anything about it. So I was left with a lovely 270 blue Damascus for the price of a 240

I think the KNS knife is priced better than JNS - it’s a good deal

very tempting

I just measured the JNS Y Tanaka - 205 gm, 54mm heel height, and 255 mm heel to tip. Ho wood handle.

I think that is very similar to K&S profile, and except the ebony wood is adding weight - as per @Matus.

Last but not least - there is always a (sometimes considerable) variation - especially with products with a lot of hand work. Example - my Toyama stainless-clad Nakiri weights some 183g - in the same batch was a knife with 230g.

In this particular case of comparing 2 damascus clad blades the main objective differences are: handle (ho versus ebony) and finished (polished versus etched). The rest is most likely dominated by sample-to-sample variations.

JNS is polished (with longitudinal scratch pattern - similar Munetoshi honyaki), KnS is etched (well, obviously some kind of polishing had to happen before).

Edit: Heh heh, joke’s on me. You were talking about the Damascus JNS Tanaka 240, obviously, which I never think about. Yea, those do look kinda similar except for the heel height. Apologies to you, @esoo. 🥰 That’ll teach me to restrain my morning crankiness.

Monday moment. :D. I did something similar today at my work.

@Matus since you mentioned the weight of the ebony handle at 50g, do you have a standard reference for a similar ho/horn handle?

I said that the ebony would bring about 50g extra. I am not sure about the weight of a standard ho wood handle for a relatively lightweight 210/240 gyuto, could be around 50g, give or take.

Latest posts

Back