Yanagi is not 100% straight, ok?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what its worth, ALL clad knives have a tendency to warp (honyaki knives are much less likely, except during the making process)

here are factors that effect warping:
-ni-mai knives are more likely to warp than san-mai
-the type of cladding that is used can effect the speed of warping
-the post hot forging handling of the steel can effect warping
-the cold forging of the steel can effect warping
-how long the steel rests post forging and post sharpening will effect warping
-local environmental conditions (i.e. weather, humidity, etc.) can effect warping

Correcting warping is a normal part of knife maintenance. Also having one blade that hasnt warped is not a sign that an entire series does not warp.

True but I've never seen a new Masamoto single bevel that was warped, I handled a ton at Korin when I went there. Also never read a thread about one being warped either...

I have... quite a few actually. And i repair warps on them all of the time. Both masamoto sohonten and masamoto tsukiji. I also know that they tend to warp less, but it doesnt mean it doesnt happen... also, just because you havent seen a warped one doesnt mean they arent warping... it just means someone is on top of making sure they are straight.

I have... quite a few actually. And i repair warps on them all of the time. Both masamoto sohonten and masamoto tsukiji. I also know that they tend to warp less, but it doesnt mean it doesnt happen... also, just because you havent seen a warped one doesnt mean they arent warping... it just means someone is on top of making sure they are straight.

Interesting.... Thankfully my Doi knives have NEVER moved... not even the 420MM. I know this movement seems to be inherent in the design / making of the blade, but I also think that there are certain makers whose knives warp more severely and more often than others... even at the same price point.

some of this relates to how makers do the yakimodoshi process (which can vary widely and is also not usually something the makers are willing to talk about, as it relates to their proprietary way of doing things)

For what its worth, ALL clad knives have a tendency to warp (honyaki knives are much less likely, except during the making process)

here are factors that effect warping:
-ni-mai knives are more likely to warp than san-mai
-the type of cladding that is used can effect the speed of warping
-the post hot forging handling of the steel can effect warping
-the cold forging of the steel can effect warping
-how long the steel rests post forging and post sharpening will effect warping
-local environmental conditions (i.e. weather, humidity, etc.) can effect warping

Correcting warping is a normal part of knife maintenance. Also having one blade that hasnt warped is not a sign that an entire series does not warp.

Thanks, Jon ... that's very good information.

Edit: Ignore this I see Jon already mentioned it in a previous post.

I could be wrong but I think some makers store the forged blades for a couple of years before grinding to allow for further conversion of retained austenite. I assume that the longer a knife waits, the less it warps for the customer.

Latest posts

Back