Yanagi Upgrade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wa-Luigi

Reaction score
So I use a JCK Fu-rin-ka-zan 240mm yanagi quite a bit at work and am thinking about upgrading.

A few months back I got a Wat gyuto that just feels amazing in every way, after a few uses I know I'll never need another gyuto until this thing is sharpened beyond the point of no return, so I'm kind of lusting after that feeling in my yanagi. I considered a watanabe yanagi but can't find a lot of threads about his single bevels compared to his double bevels. Plus they are closed until late april. I was thinking about waiting around to see if a Shig 240mm kasumi rollls around, but the odds of that are low plus I tend to use my yanagis for just about anything I feel and just sharpen any repercussions of that out later, seems kind of obscene to do that with a knife of that price range.

I am considering a masamoto KS, but read a lot about inconsistencies. I was now eyeing the gesshin hide, I like how thick the spine is and Jon seems to praise them highly so can't be bad. My one gripe would be I prefer a decent machi gap but I could live without this I'm sure.

I guess in summary, any good recs for 240mm yanagis in the same vein as these?

Heiji Yani in carbon? You may need to order direct to get one (if he still makes them), but if you are considering Shig and Wat, you'll do really well with a Heiji.

A bit of a different choice, but the young, ex-Yoshikane smith (Masashi Yamamoto) I think is great value.

Last edited:
So I use a JCK Fu-rin-ka-zan 240mm yanagi quite a bit at work and am thinking about upgrading.

A few months back I got a Wat gyuto that just feels amazing in every way, after a few uses I know I'll never need another gyuto until this thing is sharpened beyond the point of no return, so I'm kind of lusting after that feeling in my yanagi. I considered a watanabe yanagi but can't find a lot of threads about his single bevels compared to his double bevels. Plus they are closed until late april. I was thinking about waiting around to see if a Shig 240mm kasumi rollls around, but the odds of that are low plus I tend to use my yanagis for just about anything I feel and just sharpen any repercussions of that out later, seems kind of obscene to do that with a knife of that price range.

I am considering a masamoto KS, but read a lot about inconsistencies. I was now eyeing the gesshin hide, I like how thick the spine is and Jon seems to praise them highly so can't be bad. My one gripe would be I prefer a decent machi gap but I could live without this I'm sure.

I guess in summary, any good recs for 240mm yanagis in the same vein as these?
For the FRKZ Yanagi, what steel is it?

FRKZ Yanagiba actually quite nice, F&F, easily sharpen, not much low spot or high spot, mine only have tiny low spot close to the heel(blue two). I have hide knife, Is the blue one steel Lefty deba 180mm Hon-kasumi. F&F also well done, feel nice on stone & get sharp easily.

If you're thinking update I think Gesshin Hide would be great choice.

It's blue #2. I originally bought it after owning the FRKZ 150mm single bevel petty which I absolutely love. The 240 yanagi isn't a bad knife by any means, it just doesn't give me the same feeling the petty or my wat gives me so I figured I would try another yanagi.

You'd go with a Gesshin Hide over a watanabe yanagi?

If changing JCK FRKZ to Hideo kitaoka is not an upgrade, is downgrade. 😳😳😳
Is it?

Hideo Kitaoka is one of the masters in Takefu, and he exclusively makes single-bevel knives, so I suspect he knows what he is doing.

I don't have one of his yanagibas, but have one of his debas, which is very nice.

It's blue #2. I originally bought it after owning the FRKZ 150mm single bevel petty which I absolutely love. The 240 yanagi isn't a bad knife by any means, it just doesn't give me the same feeling the petty or my wat gives me so I figured I would try another yanagi.

You'd go with a Gesshin Hide over a watanabe yanagi?
I didn't try Watanabe before, but I used Hide Blue 1 Deba, FRKZ Blue 2 Yanagi 300mm, Tesshu Blue one 270mm,Yoshikazu Ikeda mizu Honyaki white 1 steel 300mm.
I tried my friend white two steel Yanagiba, I handle Masamoto Sohoten Yanagiba before, I don't like the F&F, FRKZ is much better.

I would said the FRKZ Blue two is the easiest sharpen knife, But I would definitely recommend you to try Gesshin Hide. PS: my hide deba is purchased from Sakai Hide factory, not from Jon. But I vouch for the Gesshin version, Must be better than original. I can tell from picture, Polished Choil & spine. Yamamoto Hideaki (bladesmith of Hide)
Doing great job on Hon-bazuke sharpening. make it sharpen much more easy compare to low end knife.

Is it?

Hideo Kitaoka is one of the masters in Takefu, and he exclusively makes single-bevel knives, so I suspect he knows what he is doing.

I don't have one of his yanagibas, but have one of his debas, which is very nice.
My friend have the Hide Kitaoka Yanagiba & Deba. F&F is not good in my opinion, cutting feeling also worst than my others Yanagiba.
From FB knife group, Hide kitaoka Yanagiba tend to warp more often that other brand. low spot & high spot also more than others, that's the reason I would not recommend Hideo Kitaoka Yanagiba, But Hide Kitaoka did a good job on the suminagashi pattern. For Beginner might be ok, But from FRKZ blue two to Kitaoka is downgraded... Please don't feel offensive, I just want to share my experience.😇😇

I didn't try Watanabe before, but I used Hide Blue 1 Deba, FRKZ Blue 2 Yanagi 300mm, Tesshu Blue one 270mm,Yoshikazu Ikeda mizu Honyaki white 1 steel 300mm.
I tried my friend white two steel Yanagiba, I handle Masamoto Sohoten Yanagiba before, I don't like the F&F, FRKZ is much better.

I would said the FRKZ Blue two is the easiest sharpen knife, But I would definitely recommend you to try Gesshin Hide. PS: my hide deba is purchased from Sakai Hide factory, not from Jon. But I vouch for the Gesshin version, Must be better than original. I can tell from picture, Polished Choil & spine. Yamamoto Hideaki (bladesmith of Hide)
Doing great job on Hon-bazuke sharpening. make it sharpen much more easy compare to low end knife.

Awesome, I appreciate the insight. I'll probably keep an eye on the BST forum until Hide's come back in stock.

Ive had two Wat yani, a 270 and a 300. Liked them both, esp the 300.

Currently have a SIH in 240 (and a couple others) and it works very well for smaller tasks.

Back