Yanagiba sharpening Problem

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what he proves in his article has been known for at least 20-30, maybe even 50 years for the knife nuts.

either the power tools make the steel soft by over tempering, or it simply rehardens them without tempering them (this is the most common i guess) thereby making the steel brittle.

either way the steel resulting from it is ******. so this why its recommended to resharpen your new knife like 3 times to get down to the good unruined steel.

everyone that have read 1 book about steel and its HTing would have figured this out by themselves though, i did in 2002 or so. since it simply almost must work like this. taking the last few hundred years of knowledge in consideration.

i dont suggest anyone to use any kind of powertool to sharpen jack ****. i strongly suggest you dont. but for flattening a single bevel japanese knife that was overground, no problem. as long as you understand that you have to do the last part on stones. before you get to the edge.

Back